[2.160][NOTABUG] High CPU usage

I have installed ACC Beta 2.160 from ISO image. I restored the Backup from 2.100. After then i have high CPU Usage under KVM. 
On the ACC Console: postgres has high cpu usage... was it not fixed on 2.150 ?

Urs
  • Hi,

issues with permanent high CPU usage have indeed been fixed in 2.160.

You are probably encountering a temporary high load average/CPU usage because of a required resynchronization of aggregated reporting data from all connecting devices.

Complete aggregated reporting data (worth half a year of data) from 20 devices can pile up to 4 GB which need to be transferred, transformed and injected into the ACC database. On a virtual machine, IO speed is almost always a bottleneck and severely limits the resynchronization rate.

Depending on the number of managed devices and how complete the reporting data is on each individual device and the resources and performance of your virtual ACC, the resynchronization might take 1-2 hours or longer.

The aggregated reporting data will not be lost when updating to the next ACC 2.170 version or the ACC V2.2 GA. But it cannot be kept in a backup file because of obvious space requirements.

If you want to check the progress of the resynchronization, a good indicator would be to execute this statement on command line:

# psql -U acc -c 'select guid, count(day) as days from aggregated_accounting_overview group by guid order by days desc'

This will show a list of all devices (with unique ID) and how many historic reporting days have already been retrieved (maximum 180).

Please check if the high CPU usage and/or load average persist after resynchronization has been completed.

Thanks for your report and for using ACC.

Cheers,
    Henning
  • Hi Henning

Thanks a lot for your Information. It's all ok now - 50% CPU usage (same as on ACC 2.1)... But, why you don't integrate the virtio drivers into ACC? It give's me a better performance on the KVM machines. 

Urs
  • Hi Urs,

Astaro Command Center and Astaro Security Gateway officially support VMware virtual installations but might work with others as well.

We do not provide or integrate drivers for virtual environments not officially supported. As for KVM and its Virtio drivers - they would required Kernel 2.6.25+ and the underlying ASG V7.5 base of ACC does only offer 2.6.16 - hence we would be restricted anyway.

Might change in the future when ACC gets ported to the new ASG V8 base, but can't make any promises here.

Generally, ACC will always offer the same hardware or virtual support as its underlying ASG base system. So for now, we are restricted by ASG V7.5 limitations.

Hope that clears things up and you will stick with us!

Thanks again,
    Henning
  • Hi Henning

Thanks a lot for your reply. OK. I'll waiting for the new Kernel from V8 for the ACC.