[2.150][QUESTION] Packet Filter Rules - default services

why do i have to create every service manually? I think the astaro default services should be there too!
  • Hi,

thanks for using ACC and for your constructive feedback.

We think that having the default services would be a very nice thing ... but there are certain pitfalls with this approach:

[LIST=1]
    • Ending up with the same service twice on your devices. This happens unless you use the local substitution feature during deployment which captures and merges duplicates.
    • Original default service is going to vanish from device when removing the respective global object in ACC. This happens if the service in question is not used in any configuration on the respective device on three different actions:

• Remove a global object via ACC from one or more devices
      • Delete a global object entirely within ACC which in turn will remove the respective default service from every device it is deployed on
      • Disabling central management on a device and using the cleanup functionality to release/remove global objects and configurations

[/LIST]
      Also, you need to be aware that capturing/merging the default services brings great power and responsibility. A central administrator could render many firewall configurations inactive, inefficient or incorrect by just accidentally changing the parameters of a single service which is used on many devices.

At this time, we are not 100% sure if all users would understand and accept all the resulting implications and complications of such a feature.

Kind regards,
      Henning
  • Hi,

Also, you need to be aware that capturing/merging the default services brings great power and responsibility. 

Uncle Ben ... is that you?  It's me, Peter Parker!  (Not sure how popular Spiderman is in Germany) LOL

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.