V19 eaP 2 when

Hi folks,

eap1 appears to have run its race, so time for eap2 or the GA version?

Ian

added missing word
[edited by: rfcat_vk at 10:28 AM (GMT -8) on 5 Jan 2022]
  • If past experience is anything to go by you will only see fixes in eap2, you will need to wait until maybe mr-2 for any new goodies.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• OK, I thought something was said about a feature that would come in a future EAP and I assumed that meant EAP2, rather than in something like a v19.1 or v19.5 EAP.

• We must not be using tempting bait, not a nibble or bite was taken.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• There will be a EAP2 with additional features in before release of V19.0. I do not have the information about the timeline. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Thank you.

Very unusual to have additional features added to an EAP?

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Maybe for Sophos. I've definitely seen it for other software with public beta testing (the equivalent of Sophos' not-invitation-only EAPs). They have a set of features that will make the release and they add them to the public beta as they become available, also rolling in bug feedback. No new features in release candidates (RC), only bug fixes, but multiple public beta rounds, each with potentially new features. (Finally, the RC is the point at which features planned for a release are dropped until next release if they just never got done or early beta issues delayed the whole process.)

At any rate, now I'm wondering what will be additional features. Most likely would be additional flows being added to Fast Path (and thus XStream in XGS). I've lost track of which parts of VPN (site-to-site or remote access) can already be FastPathed. It seems like there were some things that weren't yet and that they said v19 would bring. Not sure if AES-GCM is XStreamable -- Intel has specialized commands for it.

They've also done a fair amount with logs, so perhaps some additional work there. Maybe even IPv6 PD? (My ISP doesn't do IPv6 yet, so this is theoretical for me. I did try enabling IPv6 DHCP to see if maybe they've turned it on upstream and haven't told us, but that resulted in no IPv6 and no IPv4 either for the gateway port. Oh well.) Maybe a few more GUI additions such that Advanced Shell usage is less necessary.

A read-through of the v19 announcement PDF might yield some features not yet implemented fully in EAP.

(I also hope for some centralization of things like host names. A DHCP client gives a name to the DHCP server, which we see in some contexts. I can also assign a static DHCP IP and another name -- which doesn't consistently show up, sometimes being replaced with the client-proffered name. Then there are MAC and IP host names. Considering a static DHCP uses MAC and assigned IP, you'd think those tables would be filled in automatically. And perhaps a checkbox to also throw the name/IP into DNS and reverse DNS.

And also DDNS that works with failover so that a single DDNS name can have the IP of a port/gateway/ISP that's currently up and working properly. And LOTS of improvements to units: they use KB to mean Kilobits in some places, and they use Kb to mean Kilobytes in some places. It's crazy inconsistent and there's no debate or lack of clarity as to what's proper.)

• In particular, from the v19 release brochure:

• VPN Performance – ... in the next EAP phase, we will be introducing Xstream FastPath acceleration of IPsec VPN tunnel traffic.
    • VPN Operational Enhancements – ... new GCM and Suite-B cipher support for IPsec ...
    • Performance, Protection, and Usability Enhancements – ... Flow Monitor interface enhancements

The first bullet is explicit, and I think the last two also aren't in there yet but could be mistaken.

• Hello Egon,

it should be today, but without guarantee

alda