Restore to a V19.0.1 upgrade to v19.5 EAP fails

Hi folks,

after having upgraded my home XG to v19.5 EAP I tried to performa restore. Now I realise after I tried that it wasn't going toward due to different hardware. The issue is before I even got that far the backup file continually reported either bad file or incorrect password. 

I created a new backup with known password and tried to perform the restore again with the same error.

The security key on the old hardware was different to the V19.5 EAP security key though that should not have had an effect because the new file has the new key.

So what went wrong? Does the restore function check the hardware configuration before progressing or is there an issue between order version of XG and the v19.5 EAP restore. Originally the home machines a v19.0.1 mr-1 original version.

ian  

Parents
  • Hi Ian, 

Can you clarify what were the steps taken? 

1) You upgraded from v19.0 MR1 to v19.5 EAP

2) You tried to restore a backup taken from v19.0 MR1 onto v19.5 EAP? Was the backup taken from the same machine, or a different one? If the backup was taken from a different machine, what was the device you took the backup from, and what were you trying to restore onto (what model)? 

3) What is the error message you see when trying to restore? 

• Hi bobbylam,

I realised [art the way through the upgrade of my home machine that it was not going to work due to different hardware, one has inbuilt wifi th other does not.

The reason for posting th issue was the failure at the first stop of the restore when I ould have expected to get pas the second step.

The first step requires selection of a file to use for the restoration and apply the key. Each time the restoration  failed att his point with an error something like 'corrupt file or incorrect password'. So I created a fresh backup file with a confirmed password and tried again with the same error message.

The home machine had been upgraded from v18.5.x, v19.0 EAP1, V19.0 EAP 2, v19.0.1 mr-1 original, then the amended version then to v19.5 EAP.

I am hoping I do not need to put my home machine back online because I will need to rebuild most of the configuration.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• If I understand correctly, you're trying to take a backup from your XG115w and restore it on the same device (which is running v19.5 EAP), but when you restore it's saying you have the wrong Encryption Password? 

Do you have a screenshot of the failure you're seeing? 

Does your device have a Secure storage master key set, and did you enter it during the restore process? 

• Hi bobbylam,

What i was trying do which part the way through the process I realised I could not do it was restore the XG115W backup to my home licence hardware.

This morning I tried again after restart of the home machine and received a different error message 'Backup cannot be restored on current device', which is different to previous error messages. The new error message is what was expected.

Now a seperate issue with the restoration on the XG115W which I did to check the password was correct, I am receiving the 29th's daily report every approx 30 minutes from the scheduled time of the daily report. I have not yet received a copy of the 30th's daily report. I have checked the time on the XG115W and it is correct.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• OK so if I understand correctly, the backup/restore issue is resolved in the sense that the system is behaving as expected now. 

The new issue is you haven’t received the daily report for Oct 30. Which report specifically are you expecting to receive? When you run the report manually is there data in the report?

• If I run the reports from the GUI, the data for the 30th is displayed. There would be an issue with the report generation database not setting the correct time until midday my time when the reports for the 29th stopped.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Today I am receiving multiple reports for the 30th, nothing for the 31st.

I will restart the XG115W later today to see if that causes the repotting database to correct the time and report schedule.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Restarted the XG115W and immediately received the today's daily report. Time Sophos looked at fixing the report database so that is uses the XG time system not its own.

There has not been issue with the daily backups, they have been correct for the day generated.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• On the 1st of November I received the reports dated for 30th of October.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

Reply Children
No Data