Questions about the new DPI Engine.

First of all, I'm just a home user, so I feel like I shouldn't be complaining that much in here, or even making this post. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

---

First Question:

On v18 It has introduced the brand new DPI Engine, which as said by , is a:

"Single high-performance streaming DPI engine with proxyless scanning of all traffic for AV, IPS, and web threats as well as providing Application Control and SSL Inspection."

The problem is in  - "Single high-performance streaming DPI engine with proxyless scanning of all traffic for AV", The AV is the problem.

(I'm not a professional, so If there's mistakes I'm sorry, also, please tell me if there is.)

While on v17.5, also on v18, If you use the Legacy Web Proxy, the service "avd" would be used as AV.

In my understatement, the new DPI Engine which uses Snort as It service, would also use it for AV, but, but while using the DPI Engine you can see the "avd" service being spawned, and used by XG for AV scanning.

This is not a issue, well I'm not a Sophos Dev, so in my opinion this is just weird, again, It's not a issue.

Playing on my Home setup, the main noticeable difference between using Web Proxy and the DPI Engine (While using HTTP(s) scan.) Is throughput, the DPI Engine is much faster than the Web Proxy.

Now the "issue"; It's CPS, both Web Proxy and "Xstream SSL Inspection" can handle the same amount of CPS with the AV, which in my setup is 750~ (Wrong, check Edits.). So the main "issue" here is the AV.

CPS = Connections per Second, here it's just HTTPS.

Edit: I've shouldn't have done this testing at midnight, I has way too sleepy for this, The numbers on the DPI Engine is correct, but on Web Proxy is slower than I wrote before, now It makes more sense.

Edit: Also, good job for the Sophos Devs, the difference between the Legacy Web Proxy and the new DPI Engine is impressive.

Edit 2: Some additional information about this, which makes the difference between Web Proxy and DPI Engine even more impressive, I've used TLS v1.3 with the DPI Engine, while on Web Proxy has TLS v1.2.

Edit 3: Web Proxy has using this Chiper/Auth combination: TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, 256 bit Keys, TLS v1.2;

Edit 3: DPI Engine has using this Chiper/Auth combination: TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, 256 bit Keys, TLS v1.3;

Edit 4: I will try to force TLS v1.2 on the DPI Engine to see if there's even a higher difference.

XG v18 EAP3 Refresh-1 Web Proxy TLS v1.2 DPI Engine TLS v1.2 DPI Engine TLS v1.3
CPS with/AV

275~

980~ 750~
CPS without/AV 430~ 4700~ 4100~
Latency >90%/Connections 0.070/Sec 0.014/Sec 0.101/Sec

Disabling HTTP(s) scanning, and there you go, more than 5x the CPS while using the DPI Engine. It feels like the current XG AV is holding the DPI Engine back, and not letting it to have the performance that It's capable of.

After all this *** writing, my question is, is this expected? Will XG keep using "avd" as the AV for HTTP(s), IMAP, and so on? I'm not saying It's wrong, or bad, again, It's just weird. Also if It is, then why - "Single high-performance streaming DPI engine with proxyless scanning of all traffic for AV", In my understatement of what has said on this, shouldn't Snort be also taking care of AV?

---

Second Question:

Why the hell "avd" uses 99.9% of a single-core while scanning .txt files?

This becomes a issue when your running any linux distro, which the package manager downloads .txt files to know if there's any package to upgrade. The CPU usage of a single core goes all the way up to 100%.

A single "pacman -Syu" which at first download 4x .txt files, can take up to 45 seconds, and It's only at limit 6MB of total size, (I'm on a 400/200Mbit/s WAN, and the package manager mirror is capable to push my link to it's limits.)

This doesn't happen with any other kind of file format, hell, .exe scanning feels like it's instant compared to .txt

---

Third Question:

Why "avd" is a single-core service?

---

That's It.

Again, It feels like all of this is all expected, but I'm just a home user, so I feel like I shouldn't be complaining that much in here.

Also 750~ CPS is more than sufficient for a Home network.

Thanks.

• Billybob said:
    Not sure why the av daemon is choking.

I believe It's too much traffic, Since I also believe it's single-threaded, you can only put an certain amount of traffic until It hits the limit of that single core.

Billybob said:
    From what I understand the only difference between DPI and proxy is the frontend that decrypts your traffic.

Proxy needs to kill the connection, then establish a connection between the Client and another with the Server. And then transmit data between themselves.

While on the new DPI, as said by the Devs, It's a proxy-less TCP layer Inspection, It probably intercepts the SSL/TLS Handshake, put It's certificate in the middle and let the Client communicate with the server without a need to proxy the traffic.

If that's exactly how it works, well, I'm not a Dev, so It's better for some Dev to answer this - The CPS difference between the Proxy and DPI is correct.

Also "awarrenhttp" (The Web Proxy) Is also single-threaded, that's another limitation of it.

Billybob said:
    Since you are doing connections per second testing, I think fast path is not being utilized at all since all your connections have to be scanned initially (thats why large number of connections can cause DOS on servers). If you do packets per second testing, you will probably get much better results that simulate real world conditions.

The problem with fast path, In my believe, The client is pushing way too many connections, every time creating a new one to a Web server, so I don't know if It's possible to offload something that's generating a new connection all the time, and not transmitting everything trough a single stream. Again, I'm not sure about this, but fast path must works with traffic signatures and SNI for SSL/TLS.

Billybob said:
    As always this is my understanding... I don't claim to be an expert on firewalls or sophos products so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm also just a User, so in the end I'm probably wrong about >95% of things I say here.

Thanks for the feedback!

If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' button.

Ryzen 5600U + I226-V (KVM) v20 GA @ Home

XG 115w Rev.3 8GB RAM v19.5 MR3 @ Travel Firewall

• I wrote a lengthier reply, most of it informational about packet processing and ultimately not important.

Rest assured that the architecture people know their stuff and are running lots of testing and optimization. Remember also that XG is also meant for customers with 5000 clients all simultaneously downloading things and 100 things being AV scanned at the same time.  How things look in a one client test may max out things in a scenario that is not very real world.

IIRC there are several parts of XG that look at the number of CPUs and cores and change behavior. How many threads on customer-hardware may be different than on similar XG hardware, and certainly different between an XG110 and a XG750.

Though it is interesting to speculate, at some point you have to trust that we know what we are doing.  :)