What are XG home license limits?

Does someone know if there are any limitations to home license besides hardware cap and non-business usage ? For example if I can activate more than one devices with my Sophos ID ?

I'm asking because my devices is already "in production state" - I mean it serves as a home router and now I have limited possibility to test things out. It would be nice if I could use the license on a VM for testing.

• In reply to Billybob:

Yes I’ve done nothing special I’ve just done only what people on this forum trying to done since 2015 if I remember, and no one done it :) So I’ve done only that what everybody want to do it.

Please don’t behave like a child. You are really so jealous that you have no skills to done this before me ?

You are 15 years old and you go to mom :)

It’s not my level of conversation.

• In reply to Billybob:

TBH, I see a bigger risk for Sophos business in the use of Home License on a Virtual Machine. It can be easily used in data center environment, and most home users will never use VMs in DCs.

I would love to see a Home Use License for smaller XG WiFi appliances even if that would mean only web and wifi protections because these are the most important for use at home, but there is a problem many don't see. Each consumer product requires managing customer problems and there would be a lot of them. Imagine, people sometimes don't know how to connect an iPhone to the home network...

• In reply to Slawski:

Yes you are right.

Regards

Patryk

• In reply to Patryk Sidor:

Cześć Patryk,

It's not the style of this community to attack others - Billybob has been a positive force here for many, many years and was not attacking you.  He was just expressing concern about making your result public without getting feedback from Sophos beforehand.  He's thoughtful and insightful and was discussing this issue.

I see that Alan Toews has participated here.  He's one of the most-respected technical guys at Sophos, so I'm sure that he'll run this by the C-level.  Alan can delete your instructions or the whole thread if the company feels it's necessary.

In any case, one can see that you're a talented technical writer, so I'm glad to see you participating here!

Cheers - Bob

Patryk Sidor
    You are 15 years old and you go to mom :)

It’s not my level of conversation. 

I understand english is not your first language so I am going to cut you some slack. But everybody understands what go to your mom means. I gave you a benefit of doubt that I was engaging with someone with basic etiquette. You on the other hand are a total buffoon. I don't care if you publish the exploit, I run my home instance in a vm. If you think running a serial cable to an appliance and setting the correct baud rate was invented by you, I can already imagine your level of expertise and you call yourself a teacher.

Shame on you for coming on a technical forum and name calling when you have no other way to present your point of view. Maybe try google translate next time you have to insult someone so you don't come across as total imbecile.

• In reply to BAlfson:

No need to delete anything :) This thread isn't threatening to our business model, and isn't going to provoke changes to the software.

The thread is only concerning to a user who follows it in ignorance, and later learns that they've removed the warranty on a new piece of hardware. (which is why I replied) If you want to use XG for educational use, virtual or software is a far safer choice. 

If you're looking to buy an XG85 for home use, I wouldn't recommend it. By the time you buy the hardware and the hdd to add to it, you could likely find a similarly powerful small form factor pc, for less, and install the home version, without voiding its warranty. If you have one left over from an upgrade, or were given one cheaply, then feel free to mod away - just be clear on the warranty impact, before you open the box. 

• In reply to AlanT:

Like I said previously, I have no horse in this race. I am not a reseller and am not involved in hardware decisions where I work. However, I do enjoy the generous hardware allotment for home license provided by sophos. And to be honest, I also like the fact that when guests come over and a page is blocked during web surfing, they don't get the authorized for home use.

I will also say kudos to sophos one more time for providing me with 100 IP UTM home license every time it has expired. They were in no way obligated to do that and yet they did it anyway.

P.S. Although you can't reveal future plans, there are no plans for adding watermarks to XG in future versions right? Big Smile

• Hi,

I wrote the tutorial for those whose asking for it.

And for the beginning on the forum I heard suggestion:

1. That I am thief I’m trying to steel from Sophos.

2. That I’ve done nothing because some Chinese hacker probably do it in China long ago.

3. That because of me Sophos Company change his policy.

4 . That because of Sophos add watermarks to its products- I really don’t understand why some of you I scared of it. Let Sophos add watermarks.

5. I was threatened that my post will be deleted- remember nothing disappears in the internet.

And tell who’s attacking who. I’ve just send a tutorial that you ask for. All of this conversation was very unpleasant because of you not my actions.

Regards

Patryk

• In reply to Billybob:

Hey Billybob,

what did you do to get your 100 user licence renewed? I couldn't get anyone to talk to me about renewing mine and the myastaro would not allow me to renew it.

Ian

Patryk,

You overreacted to someone's comments and then tried to make a joke, but failed. As a consequence, you met with some harsh words, that's all.

Hi Patryk,

Patryk Sidor

Hi,

I wrote the tutorial for those whose asking for it.

And for the beginning on the forum I heard suggestion:

1. That I am thief I’m trying to steel from Sophos.

2. That I’ve done nothing because some Chinese hacker probably do it in China long ago.

3. That because of me Sophos Company change his policy.

4 . That because of Sophos add watermarks to its products- I really don’t understand why some of you I scared of it. Let Sophos add watermarks.

5. I was threatened that my post will be deleted- remember nothing disappears in the internet.

And tell who’s attacking who. I’ve just send a tutorial that you ask for. All of this conversation was very unpleasant because of you not my actions.

Regards

Patryk

First you did a great job doing this, nothing is wrong about that, so to cut to the cheese, as AlanT wrote, "People be aware of your warranties!"...

I can see why you're upset! - You did this, and take all your enthusiasm to this community, but found out, that not everybody likes it, that's a little punch to the stomack I understand, nothing more than that, people have the means to tell how they feel, some think it's cool and others are afraid that you will destroy some of the "free will" that Sophos gives us all.

Well, nothing are going to change as we can see, so maybe it's time to "lower your guns" and understand that people are different,and they are allowed to be :-)

Great writing (technical!)

• In reply to twister5800:

Thx, for your support I’m really appreciate.

Best regards

Patryk

Hey Patrick,

Great post.  I am going to try this out tomorrow.   I got a cheap Kingston A400 drive to put in there to keep the power/heat down.   What cable did you use for the power there?  I have a sata3 cable, but need help getting the power cable identified.

Thanks

• In reply to GaryW:

Hey GaryW,

I’v use adapter cable from computer fan.

Just remember use an SSD drive to compensate efficiency issues.

If you have any problems I will gladly help.

If you want go back to original firmware I can help you with that.

Best regards

Patryk

Patryk,

Alright, so I am able to see the console in the serial app.   When I boot The installer iso I get the below message.  I see with both the new ssd and no ssd installed.

Detected Sophos Physical Device.

Please get proper installation source.

press y to reboot

As an FYI to folks, I am a home user looking to leverage an old HW box instead of a home built one.

Thanks,

Gary