How to upgrade existing UTM 9.3 Home configuration to XG Firewall Home?

Am currently running Sophos UTM 9.3 Home Edition.  Is it possible to upgrade directly from UTM 9.3 to XG Firewall Home edition? Or import an existing UTM 9.3 configuration backup into a new install of XG Firewall Home edition?

Has anyone successfully managed to do this?

• No and No.  From the FAQ:

Here are the migration phases:

Migration at Launch: While we strongly encourage existing customers to wait until Phase 1
    or 2, early adopters who wish to migrate to XG Firewall following launch can do a manual
    migration. There will be no migration tools available during this phase so you will be setting
    up and configuring your XG Firewall from a fresh install.

Phase 1 Migration: is in planning and we anticipate being able to offer beta migration tools
    by mid-2016. The process will involve manually taking a backup of your UTM 9 device and
    uploading it to the Cloud Migration Service for conversion, making necessary adjustments,
    and then exporting it as a configuration for XG Firewall.

Phase 2 Migration: is planned to coincide with an update to XG Firewall in mid-2016. It will
    enable UTM 9.4 customers to use an option in Webadmin to initiate a migration adding
    some automation and less manual process with options to retain some quarantine items.

Phase 3 Migration: Later in 2016 we plan to simplify the migration process further with
    support for multiple device migration and more automation.

• Since there is currently no method for direct migration (or in-place upgrade) from UTM to XG.
    You'll have to deploy a separate computer or VM and build the XG from scratch, and even then, there is no simple method for migrating your UTM configuration to XG.
    Note that if you're using the UTM to manage your WiFi network, you'll want to know about this: www.sophos.com/.../119131.aspx
  • In reply to DavidWilliams1:

A little late to the party but as I was setting up a test Sophos XG Home to try out, I noticed this in the config screen. Does this mean we now have the ability to migrate settings from 9 to XG?

• In reply to NashBrydges:

Nash, that option is related to licensing, not configuration migration.

• In reply to BrucekConvergent:

Thanks for that clarification Bruce.

• In reply to NashBrydges:

Was told by Sophos support there would be a Sophos UTM 9 upgrade and config migration tool available to Sophos XG available.  Disappointed.

• In reply to DavidWilliams1:

DavidWilliams1
    Phase 2 Migration: is planned to coincide with an update to XG Firewall in mid-2016. It will
    enable UTM 9.4 customers to use an option in Webadmin to initiate a migration adding
    some automation and less manual process with options to retain some quarantine items

Well, we're well past mid-2016 now. Are Sophos late or have they decided not to provide this. I can't see people migrating if they have to manually re-create all the definitions and rules that they've built up over the years. it's just too difficult and risky.

• In reply to philled:

Is there an update on when the migration tool will be available? We could really need it for busisness migration.

• In reply to Torsten Geile:

Stick with the UTM 9 for home use, the XG is not ready.

I am running both and still trying to workout which I should use as the main unit.

The main failings are the IPS and the mail scanning for users without a mail server on their local network. According to the XG I have about 90% spam mail which is a classification/scanning issue.

You can't identify which device has the issues from the logs or reports, logs are lost after a restart. Lots of beautiful reports, but relating the various sub-reports to actual user behavior is very difficult.

DNS and DHCP servers functions are very poor.

• Hi Jason,

You cannot migrate UTM 9 directly to XG. You need to download the Sophos XG OS and reimage the system.

I am curious to know if there is any specific requirement to migrate to XG because by doing so you will need to setup the network configurations from the scratch, as we are yet to develop a migration tool. Before migrating to XG, I would recommend you to deploy it on a spare system and explore the potential is has. If your network suite and compliments XG features, go for it.

Thanks

• In reply to sachingurung:

When will Sophos be developing a migration tool? This thread is now over 1 year old and it sounds like the promised migration tool is still nowhere to be found. I can't imaging migrating without a tool because it would be nigh on impossible to re-create all the definitions and rule etc by hand. The "specific requirement", as you put it, is to not have to re-enter everything into XG by hand. 

• In reply to philled:

Hi

Any one seen a migration tool yet? im evaluating this against my UTM Home version, but i really do not want to have to rebuild my firewall rule base, WAF, email, proxy settings from scratch as these have been built up over the last few years.

Thanks

Neil

• In reply to neil2048:

The migration tool should be available this year when the v17 will be released (GA).

This is the last information I heard. Maybe Sophos is wating for a more stability on XG before moving existing UTM9 customers.

• In reply to lferrara:

lferrara

The migration tool should be available this year when the v17 will be released (GA).

This is the last information I heard. Maybe Sophos is wating for a more stability on XG before moving existing UTM9 customers.

What is the status of this tool?

• In reply to JasonMiles:

Jason,

v17 is not even in beta yet.