Gateway xxx Went Down

I get an email message 2-3 times a day (mostly overnight) to say that my ADSL connection has gone down, usually followed by an email a minute later to say it is back up.

This is my backup gateway connection, and is not causing me any problems by it briefly dropping connection

Is there a way to increase the timeout before a gateway down notification is sent to e.g. 5 mins. This would greatly reduce email traffic, and help to spot when there is genuine issue with the backup gateway.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Model Number Firmware version      
XG210 SFOS 17.5.12 MR-12.HF062020.1
  • Hello Bill,

I'd modify what your XG is using to do the monitoring under the WAN Link Manager under Network. Edit the backup interface and set somethign stable and public as your testing target, it could be the next hop is a bit fruity with responding to the default pings.

Emile

• In reply to EmileBelcourt:

Hi Emile,

Thanks for your reply, this is what I have set at the moment, what would you suggest instead?

Bill

• In reply to Bill Addison:

Hi Bill,

I'd recommend switching from ping to TCP on port 53 (DNSSEC port) to google. I've noticed Google has a habit of ignoring pings these days but at least with a TCP port 53 request you have the resiliency of it being a legitimate initial request and that it is TCP in case one of the SYN/SYN-ACK/ACK packets are lost :)

Emile