Problems with simple DHCP and ping locally

Hello all,

I am having issues and have checked several areas for a solution but this should seem so simple..

I have a DHCP server set up on my XG firewall and have some local computers that have resolved to the DHCP table.

When I try to ping the device name of another computer on the same subnet the XG box will not resolve the IP address of the device I am pinging.  I have seen how to set up DHCP and DNS but need help getting the two to resolve the name of the other computer.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

• Hi Alonzo,

beside the DNS did you create a FQDN for each device. The XG does not link the DHCP name/IP to the DNS.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

I have not added any entries to the DNS screen.  The IPV4 is set to obtain DNS from DHCP and choose IPv4 over IPv6 with nothing in DNS host entry and DNS request route.

Also, did not create FDQN for each device and have only used the defaults as well.

Please continue to ask questions..  I need some clues on how to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

• In reply to Alonzo Eubank:

Hi Alonzo,

I was in error with my first post, you will need to add an entry in the Authentication (clientless) table if you want your devices to appear in your reports.

if you want to ping devices on your network by name you will need to add a FQDN in the DNS tab of network. Yes, very slow and duplicates work already done in the DHCP table.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hello,

So, what you're telling me is I have to add every server to the routing table for Sophos??  I tried naming my DHCP with a local domain call it sophos.local.  I then went into DNS host entry and added the sophos.local as the domain name and the IP address of the gateway and No publish on the WAN and it still does not seem to work.

So let's say I have 20 computers that are on DHCP I have to create a DNS host entry for each computer?  This is the only way??

Thanks.

Hi Alonzo,

If one of those servers is a DHCP/DNS then you can point the XG at it otherwise there is a the manual process and maybe (I a not sure) there is an API.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Thanks man,

It seems as if there has got to be a better way to do this as this is a function a $30 router does by default..  My other router does the DHCP and if you wish to ping another computer on the network the router picks up the IP address and passes it to you.  I wanted the additional protections of a stateful firewall but this seems like a serious limitation for Sophos if it is the only way.

Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Thanks, Alonzo

Basically, the Sophos XG doesn't act as a DNS server and its mostly a "dns relay". It won't have a reverse zone nor store FQDN from local computers (unless to add a DNS Host Entry for each computer in your network manually). The other option would be to use it together with an AD and have the firewall ask the AD for DNS queries.