DNS Resolving

Hello,

I've read the discussions about DNS-resolving but could you please help me out ?

Should it be possible to have internal DNS-names resolved in the reports ? Statement on the idea page is that it should work. I resolve against a Windows DNS-server with reverse lookup zones defined but the reports stay empty.  When I use the Test-button under 'Network - DNS' and enter an IP, the name is resolved correctly.

Should it be possible to have external DNS-names resolved in the reports ?

I'm well aware of the risks but it would be really handy to have a quick view on DNS-names while inspecting.

Thanks,

Koen

• Hi,

I haven't tried this yet, waiting to see what v17 brings. Do you use the XG DNS as your proxy or have you disabled that and use your internal server as the DNS only.

Does your XG know about the internal DNS to use it for lookups?

Ian

• Koen,

I have seen other people around the community having the same issue and it is still not fixed.

Sachin or Aditya can have more info on that. Can yo open a ticket?

Thanks

• In reply to lferrara:

Hi, 

We have received the request for the hostname in reporting, for the reference of this issue. 

NC-11142 

• In reply to Aditya Patel:

Hi,  and the development team. Are we able to get an update as to when this known issue NC-11142 will be resolved? I haven't seen it mentioned in the recent release of v17.1?

Thanks,

Erik

• In reply to RikS:

I have been trying to figure this out for a year now. Despite a bunch of discussion here and elsewhere, it is still unclear if this is a bug, missing feature, or as designed. I know that XG cannot function as a DNS server as of the current version I am running (17.0.8). External DNS resolution does not work right if you use the XG as the primary, so unless you have an internal DNS server, you must configure XG and DHCP scopes to use your ISP (or other DNS servers). This would lead me to believe that it is a bug or missing feature as cheap router/firewalls are at least capable of this basic "feature".

I have been messing around with setting up a full featured internal DNS server using pfSense, but it didn't seem to make a difference even after pointing XG and DHCP to it for DNS. I think the crux of the problem is that the issue is actually a reverse DNS issue in that the XG would need to do RDNS lookups for the IP addresses in the reports. I don't know if it is possible to use the DNS Request Route Feature to point the XG to the internal DNS server via something like 1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa, but I haven't gone that far in my testing yet. I am skeptical because the XG itself would need to be "told" to do RDNS lookups in these reports which I believe is the real problem. Therefore, at this point I am leaning to this actually being a mix between a bug/feature issue.

Additional thoughts/brainstorming welcome....      

• In reply to bNaCl:

If you go the route of DNS routing it is highly recommended to do both forward and reverse zone to your internal server.

Hope this helps

-Ron

• I also would like to see this feature. There could be a seperate column for IP address and name, or the ability to click on an IP address and have it resolved for you. It was on PfSense and seems like it would be one of the first things anyone would want when going through logs.