This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IPS Blocking legit traffic speedtest.net / IPS impacting performance even if IPS is not enable in the rule

I get thousands of this alerts every time I use https://www.speedtest.net/

"Data sent on stream after TCP Reset received"

Does it make sense? how can I disable it or fix the issue?
The IP belongs to the service

It's a bug?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply
  • Update on testing.

My IPS settings had no affect on the speedtest.net performance. I have tuned my IPS policy.

Using http/s as the allowed protocols caused the tests to run very slow with block unknown protocols disabled. Also required an update to flash part the way through the test.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

Children
  •   

All I know is that if I have the IPS enable

And this as the only rule with IPS enable

my CPU while doing a https not managed by that rule download at 30MB/s look like this, (CPU5 and 7 are not attached to Sophos XG)

As far as I know this traffic shouldn't be analyzed by Sophos XG because the rule managing this traffic doesn't have IPS enable.

Then if I disable the IPS Service

under the same conditions my CPU utilization is:

So obviously the IPS is analysing traffic that it should not analyze, and this is a bad implementation of Snort, this https traffic should go through the firewall without and the IPS should not penalized the firewall performance.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug, could you bring this to sophos XG engineers to study it and fix it?

In other firewalls the IPS only works if the rule associated to the IPS is managing traffic, in Sophos XG is not the case.

• If you have DOS enabled it will examine all traffic for all rules as distinct from have a specific set of IPS rules for each firewall rule.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Now I have disable DoS settings

And again under the same conditions the CPU load seems to be similar

My rules

IPS service disable and DoS settings disable:

•  

I have replicated the test, this time with speedtest.

IPS engine Enable DoS Disable

IPS engine Disable DoS Disable

• Helo IOraiden

This is not a bug nor is snort "wrong implemented". But this is behaviour as designed in SFOS. XG Firewall also uses snort for application classification, and application classification is per XG design globally activated to get all those fancy application reports in reporting. Also means, that IPS always touches the traffic, even if there is no explicit IPS (or AppControl) rule in place.

You can disable that behaviour in the device console using the command

system application_classification off

AppControl and IPS is afterwards still active for any rule where app or ips policy is in place, but it will not touch anymore traffic which has no such policy in place. Means you will reach even on low end hardware easily linespeeds then w/o app and ips policy in place.

Hope that helps (and please also give feedback if it DID help or not ;o))

/Sascha

• Thanks a lot, I have tried and it looks like it is working as I expected, now I get full speed.

So to be clear by enanling this option I lose all the functionality related to "Cloud Applications" or is there something else?

Now as before the IPS will only apply to the firewall rules I choose but application discovery will be always off in any case?

One weird thing is why it can handle the donwload speed but not the upload.

I hope Snort 3.0 will be release soon so we won't have this kind of problems, are you playing internally already with the beta?

And as a recomendation it would be nice to have the ability to disable this through the interface, or make clear somehow how the cloud app thing works, so maybe being able to enable cloud app in each firewall rule would help a lot.

Now I have disable the cloud application option but in the interface it looks like the "service" (is no really a service) is working.

• Let me throw a little curve ball into this discussion. Why don't other users have this issue, some do but not a majority. I can push my 100/40 without doing those modifications. IAs I have posted in the past i have tuned the IPS DOS and my IPS policies.

Somewhere there is a configuration issue?

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Concerning:

"So to be clear by enanling this option I lose all the functionality related to "Cloud Applications" or is there something else?"

No, you don't loose anything besides reporting of used applications for traffic matching a firewall rule where's no app or ips policy in place. For all other firewall rules XG behaves as before.

• rfcat_vk said:
    Let me throw a little curve ball into this discussion. Why don't other users have this issue, some do but not a majority. I can push my 100/40 without doing those modifications. IAs I have posted in the past i have tuned the IPS DOS and my IPS policies.

Somewhere there is a configuration issue?

I’d imagine it depends on your hardware and connection speed. More powerful hardware or slower connection speeds will probably not see this “issue”. With Snort 3.0 and multi threading support, I’m assuming this will become less of an issue, if it’s implemented with Sophos XG.

---

Sophos XG guides for home users: https://shred086.wordpress.com/

• One last question, should I place IPS rules on the portforwarding rule (bussiness application rule) of a server or in the allow LAN->WAN rule of the server? or in both?