XG VM on Hyper V 2019

Hi All,

I am setting up server 2019 std with Hyper V role and installed XG As a virtual machine. all went well until i rebooted it  after successfully registering it. It hangs at 'stopping'. if you rt click the VM and choose shut down, same issue. Windows server vm work fine. anyone seen this? works fine on 2012.

• Hi  

There's nothing reported for XG VM on Hyper V 2019 as of now, I would request you to check with guide- https://docs.sophos.com/nsg/sophos-firewall/17.5/Help/en-us/webhelp/onlinehelp/PDF/sfos_hyperv_sg.pdf

• In reply to Keyur:

Hey, 

Yes a great guide and i did refer to it but alas it is for older servers. this is an issue with compatibility not installation. Hyper v 2019 VM management hangs when backup runs and checkpoint is created when XG VM is installed, backup fails and is left i 1/2 running state that only reboot will fix, server hangs when rebooted unless you end task of vm manager first. put it on 2012 and it works fine , backs up fine, nothing goes wrong. 2019 no work there!i am now testing the server with XG VM removed. stay tuned.

• In reply to Daniel Twinn:

So XG malfunctions on server 2019 hyper-v with no services selected, after running an hour, is unable to shut down using the 7, s commands. server reboot only fix.

Same here. XG would not shutdown normally. Have to stop the hyper-v services to hard shutdown the VM.

• In reply to dylanr:

Hi  and @dylanr,

It would be great if you could share more details and your observation on the reported issue, it would help us to assist you better.

• In reply to Keyur:

Hi  and dylanr,

I would request you to get in touch with technical support and open a service request. We required to check the issue in live to capture the logs to understand the scenario.

Please PM the service request number.

• In reply to Keyur:

i would suggest you Build a server with windows server 2019 , install hyper v, then deploy an XG VM and then set up windows backup, schedule a job, let it run  and see the results for yourself. VM will not shut down, stopping................ never gets there and HV manager will hang when you try to recover. then you see backup fails after about a hour in event logs, B-up console shows nothing, HV manager thinks back up is still running as all VM status says 'backing up......'. Then end the task is only way or server will hang on reboot. After restart and XG is good again, until the next backup. HV console normal backup console show failure, " timed out before shared protection point was................... i wiped the drive and reinstalled, no change.

also if XG VM is off or removed server works normally.

also when tested on server 2012 all integrated services are enabled except guest. So some code has changed on server 2019 and XG is not compatible.

Just a shot in the dark but I have been going through the changes of 2019 vs 2016.  There may be some new feature in 2019 that may stick out.  There is a list here-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/windows-server-comparison