Where is V18 at?

Hi,

this request for an update on progress is for those of us that do not have access top partners/resllers.

Would some-one in the know who is allowed to provide progress on v18 please add to this thread.

I am not after guesses or conjecture, but real timelines (give or take a month).

Ian

• In reply to :

Hej,

what about IKEv2 in conjunction with remote access connections? I don't read any more of it.

• Hi,

is it possible to use a Sophos XG with an EAP Firmware in Production, or is this dangerous?

Are EAP versions prone to have security Flaws that could be a problem in an production environment?

• In reply to Dwayne Parker:

It's dangerous - not just from the fact that there could be bugs, but also from supportability.

Dwayne,

Using an EAP in production is risky as bugs s as bad defects can exist in the product buy still undiscovered by Sophos. I highly recommend to wait for GA.

Regards

Dwayne Parker

is it possible to use a Sophos XG with an EAP Firmware in Production, or is this dangerous?

Are EAP versions prone to have security Flaws that could be a problem in an production environment?

Security flaws are rare.  Bugs in an early EAP is what you should be concerned about, or features that are not quite ready.  Later EAPs are much more production ready.

It is not uncommon, however, to clone the production machine onto another.  Then upgrade the copy.  You can play with the copy as much as you want, if you gain trust move more traffic to the copy.  Or swap it in knowing you can swap it out again.  Of course if you need continuous logs and statistics this isn't a good idea.

Echoing the others, I would not run EAP in production, unless it had a feature you absolutely have to have today... frankly it's worth the wait for GA + 1 (the inevitable patch release after a big new GA release - not just a Sophos thing, think Microsoft, etc.).

As a MSP / Reseller we often run EAPs in our lab "on behalf of" our customers and wring it out... we never deploy EAPs to customers though.

• Same question for the last 6 months its now November and I was promised by my Rep it would happen on third quarter Sept or Oct.  Still nothing.  Sales people will tell you anything to purchase a product but they can never deliver, its always sorry we are working on it.  

• In reply to Nino Renzi:

Hi Nino,

I am not sure what you are referring to? V18 is currently in beta testing at EAP2 release with EAP3 scheduled for December.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hi, yes the EAP is out but it was supposed to be out already in third quarter not 3th quarter.  I was promised by my rep that there would be a lot of new reporting available, im not installing an EAP V.  To me the Firewall is useless, no reports, no queries, logging is terrible, reports are really bad, cant monitor VPN, cant monitor WAN ports.  The traffic reports it has are so bad no one can figure out whats what.  I compare my WAN traffic between my ISP, my on prem monitoring tool and what the firewall says, but nothing is happening.  You cant drill down and figure out issues, everything is static.  Sorry for the rant but i was waiting for 3 years now and promised things would change but nothing is changing.  Just tired of excuses, need to see some change here hope that 18 is much different if not im not going to be happy.  Payed a lot of money for HA and support and getting nothing in return.  Again im not ranting at you just the situation.

• In reply to Nino Renzi:

I think you should be upset with the rep who is promising you things he should never promise.  Reps should never promise a timeline because they have ZERO control over a timeline.  Reps should never promise features - even a week before the v18 EAP no one in the general public knew the feature list.

There are several threads with people complaining about reporting, including in the v18 EAP forum.

• In reply to Michael Dunn:

Yes i was one of those that complaining about the reports, i had submitted a feature request, also added my like to someone else who had one from 2014 i think, i was told it was coming in 2017 but that came and went.  And then 2018 and now 2019, i hope that 18 has some better reporting or im going to loose it.  To me the firewall is useless if it does not have reporting features.  I used to have Sonicwall and the reporting was great they they were purchased by Quest and support went south.  So we switched and fell for the sales pitch that this was going to do everything and then some.  I do not like sales people they promise the world and give you nothing.  Thank you for your input sorry to rant.