Using XG Home with Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router

I instaled XG home on an old desktop machine that has a dual NIC. I also have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router. I would like to use XG Home while also keeping the capabilities of having the router. Most of my machines at home are wireless these days. So I guess what I am trying to do is see if there is a way I can plug my XG Home machine into the router, let XG home assign ips and control all the security while allowing the rest of the computers in my home to use the router as an access point if you will. 

• Hi Matthew,

you certainly can, but you would need to put it in bridge mode or disable the WAN port.

You cannot manage the R7000 from the XG.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Ian

So I can use my router as a wireless access point, with the XG firewall? Cable modem ---> XG Home---> Router in AP mode with WAP---> Computers and Smart Tvs?

One other thing, I use Tp-Link powerline adapters, specifically AV1000 models, if I use the above configuration will XG assign IP's to devices not only directly plug into the router like the TV or AV1000, but also devices that use wireless only?

• In reply to Matthew Corzine:

Hi Matthew,

yes, you can do all that. I am currently using a Netgear EoP to extend my my network to another managed switch with an AP, foxtel, TV, and IoT devices attached.

Ian