Sophos promised a fully equipped software version of the Sophos XG firewall (when is this available)

Hi,

Sophos says ...

Our Free Home Use XG Firewall is a fully equipped software version of the Sophos XG firewall,
available at no cost for home users – no strings attached.

Features full protection for your home network,
including anti-malware, web security and URL filtering, application control,
IPS, traffic shaping, VPN, reporting and monitoring, and much more.

When will Sophos enable WiFi for the their own devices with WLAN embedded?

WiFi is not enabled on SG/XG Hardware, it´s stripped down or just disabled.

Is there any spec sheet that shows ALL differences between
a fully equipped version and a fully equipped software version?

Sophos Marketing wasn´t able to tell me.

I was told to ask in the community ..

kind regards

Jürgen

• The Home Version is not for the Hardware Appliances. Thats why the Wlan on the Hardware SG/XG not work

• In reply to Poldy:

The Home Version seems to be identical with the normal Firewall.

Most of the files, scripts, database scripting and hardware detection seems to be the same.

Even the home version is aware of all the hardware appliances.

I would accept that sophos would not support other WiFi Cards.

But if we could reuse an old appliances for home use with internal WiFi, this would be great!

• In reply to JuergenB:

Hi,

there is also another limitation, but it is not just the home licence that is affected. Some of the earlier XGs only allowed 1 wifi band eg you could have 2.4 or 5.0 but not both.

most people would put their home XG in an out of the way place which means the wifi will not work very well. The wifi should be on top of a cupboard or shelf to be the most effective, that is why businesses have their APs out of the computer room.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hi,

i used the Hardware Installer in a VM (HW-17.5.1_MR-1-347.iso).

The Installation shows, that all the parts for WiFi modules and kernel Drivers are installed or included.
    VM NIC`s are not showing up in the HW ...

e.g. HW    /sys/devices/virtual/mac80211_hwsim
    e.g. SW     /sys/devices/virtual/ (mac80211 .. missing)

even though the PCIe Wifi Card  can´t be emulated, the Drivers are present , SSID and Sophos WLAN is created.

In the Software Version i couldn't find these modules and Settings.

I think these are removed from Sophos,
    so it´s not a fully equipped software version of the Sophos XG Firewall.

• In reply to Poldy:

The Approach of using the Software Version on XG / SG Hardware is kinda new. We open this for all our customers to use our hardware with the home XG. 

Sophos XG Home is not build to use the own Hardware. 

Like Poldy point out, it is still a feature request. 

So basically the Sophos Home XG is a fully equipped Software for his purpose. 

You are using the Software Version of XG (same version like the commercial one). 

So the Software Version is lacking those modules, because there should not be any Wireless adapter. 

https://community.sophos.com/products/xg-firewall/f/licensing/73724/xg-home-license-on-sg125w#pi2151=1

• In reply to LuCar Toni:

Thanks Toni,

i tried the XG Hardware Image in a Virtual Machine for finding some information about the missing WiFi in SF.
    Found some bits in DB, drivers, kernel modules, shell scripts, etc..
    Even the WLAN with SSID was enabled and set in the VM ...

I would like to make use of the Sophos WiFi Card in my old SG 105w (got it cheap Big Smile) .

Maybe i will setup an ESXi with 8GB and a larger SSD.

I think with ESXi i can make use of the wifi, together with the 4 NIC Ports this would be a fine ESXi system.

Then i make use of a XG Home and map the WiFi and some NIC´s to the XG Home Edition.