Home License Hardware recommendation

Hi everybody,

do you have any (recent) recommendations for hardware for the usage of the Sophos XG Home license? I would prefer something pre-assembled and with a power consumption that stays below 15-20 W in idle. From the connection point of view, 5 or more gigabit Ethernet ports would be required. Concerning the computation resources, I would prefer 4 to 6 GB of RAM and at least two CPU cores, better 4. Does anybody of you have something in use that you can recommend?

Julia

• I suggest you use Open-source computing hardware, it is great hardware so far, I personally use this and it's good for me I bought it from Reecoupons by using Online coupons, and also use two CPU, in one CPU it will not work properly.

• Hi Julia,

depends on where you live?

In the US and UK you can order small quad core units with 4 gigabyte ethernet interfaces, 8gb of ram (6 only will be used). Make sure the NICs are NOT 219 type because they are not compatible.

I bought a unit from China. The only down side is they are not expandable. As a home user go for the 4 cores, real cores not hyper threading.

There are units that have many ports, but most of those have non XG compatible NICs or those of lower performance.

Mine came from Aliexpress.

Ian

• Hi Julia,
    as described here, a Intel Celleron J1900 can be used (quad-core) for home usage, 8GB RM and 128GB SSD.
    5 or more Gbit Ports ??? what is your ISP connection speed ? :)
    in my mind, use a 8 port switch (e.g. ProSafe Plus GS108E-300PES) to connect to the XG device and configure one secure network for management the infrastructure and another for all family members :)

Example of the device at amazon
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B06XTTPM9R/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1561191329&sr=8-3

regards
    Chris