Sophos Central Endpoint and SEC: Computers fail/hang on boot after the Microsoft Windows April 9, 2019 update. Please follow knowledge base article 133945

Learn about the Benefits of Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). Turn your MFA on now!

Outage on MySophos and Partner Portal. You may contact Sophos Support through Phone.

Future of v17 and v18

Hey AlanT,

Hope you can update us on the future of v17 and future of v18? 

Since v17 is released i'm sure alot of new improvements are in the pipeline. 

• Hey  

Make sure to keep an eye out on our Release Notes & News and Sub-groups for new updates and upcoming betas for future releases.

I'll also tag  and  in case they wanted to chime in with any further information.

Regards,

FloSupport | Sophos Community Engineer

• In reply to tom greene:

I don't think you will get any more info till they are closer to v18. v17.1, 17.2 etc are in the pipe and  touched on whats coming in this thread https://community.sophos.com/products/xg-firewall/sophos-xg-beta-programs/sfos-v170-beta/f/sfos-v170-beta-feedback/97040/what-s-next-for-v17-x 

• In reply to Billybob:

Bumping this thread ...

PJR

• In reply to Big_Buck:

I think Sophos has put some good work in the last releases like 17 oder 17.5. They simpley need to close some already completed feature request on their idea platform. Surprise

But yes, i think v18 will bring the "most wanted" or highly requestet features.

• In reply to TheBalmasque:

Hello Balmasque,

Unfortunately after I read one PDF document ( not classified as confidential ) which compares the features and properties of UTM9 vs. XG, I really do not share your optimism. This document mentions 24 key features of UTM9 vs. XG but only 13 will be implemented in version v18 and other no less important 11 key features will be implemented in the v18+ version.

So in my opinion, "the game will be balanced" in the summer of 2020.

But maybe Sophos surprise us ...

Regards

alda

• In reply to alda:

It's just my opinion, but i think once they release v18 the development of new features will be quicker. But of course they first need to release v18. I hope it will be really soon... 

Hello TheBalmasque,

what's up to you, really soon, this autumn?

Regards

alda

• In reply to alda:

The game may balanced with UTM in 2020 (I'm forced now to doubt it).  But Sophos is loosing ground compared to the competition.

The "Unified" principle is being catch-up by everyone in the industry.  On-Premise "Unified" is being killed by everyone in the industry and will soon mean "in the cloud" almost most certainly. Hybrid or not ... May we like it or not.

Just look at Symantec Endpoint Protection in the cloud ...

2020 will be too little too late.

PJR.

• In reply to alda:

Hi,

in another thread i read it is currently scheduled for H2 2019: 

community.sophos.com/.../sluggish-ui-performance

• In reply to Big_Buck:

The cloud is fantastic if you have large bandwidth and big budget, just think of all the small businesses with low speed links. You still need some protection for your link to the cloud from your office/home.

Ian

Hello TheBalmasque,

I think it corresponds to what I wrote, I think the autumn of this year is H2 2019, or am I wrong? I think we all have an experience with the published (predicted) terms that Sophos publishes. In my opinion autumn this year a very optimistic term. If I remember well, the v17.5 MR1 that should allow APX access points was scheduled for mid-December last year. And now is the end of January and support for APX in XG still is not available, right? It is planned for next week, but maybe could be delayed for a week ...

At the latest in two months we will know who was right. The first milestone is planned at the end of March, so we will see ....

Regards

alda

• In reply to alda:

MR-1 was not supposed to be released, it was an in-house fix, we were to get MR-2 with APX. I have no idea what has gone wrong?

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

mentioned MR1 to be released in december as far as I can remember.

But MR1 seems to have an issue with HA so I have to wait for MR3 where it is supposed to be fixed. So nothing has changed at all - one fix, one new issue.

• In reply to Jelle:

The issue with HA is only affecting Sophos XG Management through Sophos Central.
    This issue is also present in Sophos XG 17.5 GA.

The problem is, that with this issue a Sophos XG 17.5 GA or 17.5 MR-1 can't be managed through Sophos Central.
    It isn't affecting anything else in HA Setup.

Also Sophos XG 17.5 MR-3 is scheduled for 10th Feburary 2019.
    So you might want to wait for that. :)