How to block all youtube videos from a specific channel

Hi,

Is it possible to block all youtube videos belonging to a specific channel?

Br,

Jan

• Hello Jan,

Thank you for contacting the Sophos Community.

I think you could create a Web Category using keyword "v=LYG9lQV5q58" or whatever is the code channel and set it to block.

You need to enable Block Quic protocol, if you are in V18 use webproxy instead of DPI and enable Decrypt HTTPs during web proxy filtering.

If you are using v17, you need to enable D&S.

Don't forget to install the XG certificate in the user's browser.

Regards,

• In reply to emmosophos:

Hi Emmanuel,

Thank you for your quick reply. I can block specific channels through the method you suggested when the channel is accessed through a web browser, that works fine and blocks the channel. But when someone knows the direct URL or keyword for a specific video in the channel, the filtering does not work (it is not practical to manually add all the video identifiers for channels which contain tens or hundreds of videos).

Also, when using the IOS app the videos belonging to the channel still are shown in the home, subscriptions and library sections of the app. Also, when searching for the name of the channel the search results also show videos belonging to the channel (see also a related question I posted on the search topic https://community.sophos.com/products/xg-firewall/f/firewall-and-policies/122077/block-search-queries-containing-specific-keywords-in-the-youtube-ios-app/444001#444001).

I seems to me the XG needs to query the youtube API for a listing of all the videos belonging to the channel and create a dynamic list containing the unique video IDs and block these. The challenge likely is that the XG needs to understand the youtube API so it can filter out the complete JSON/XML/etc. in the response of the API request, so that the video, descriptive text, etc. is filtered out and not shown in the list of videos displayed in the app. Is this something which can be done via application filtering or content filtering, or is this a feature request?

Best regards,

Jan

• In reply to Jan Willekens:

Hi Jan,

please post a link to the channel, I would like try and see if I can block it.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hi Ian,

For example, this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-eGDvOe41__-RiE0E9L6A

Br,

jan

Hello Jan,

Thank you for the follow-up!

I see what you mean.

Yes, that would be a feature request.

Regards,

Hi Jan,

thank you for the posted link. It is not just the channel that appears to be the issue it is also the playlists which people can send around in messenger like apps.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hi Ian,

Yes, correct, playlists are an issue as well since videos from the channel appear there as well.

Br,

Jan