Apple App Store Connection Errors

Hi There,

I have some weird problems with the Apple App Store on our Macbooks. Some colleagues can use the store without any problems, others can not open it at all.
There are they same firewall rules that apply to all users, regardless of whether they are WiFi or LAN.
I have already set exceptions in the web policy, and put all the URLs from the Apple article into a firewall rule where the IPS is disabled.https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT201999

Please have a look at my screenshots. The Problem is also, that I can't see any errors at the log viewer or with paket capture whan a colleague try's to download something at the store.

Any ideas?

WiFi Clients are in the same zone like LAN.

• In reply to LuCar Toni:

LuCar Toni

So we can not simply put everything in Debug and "wait". 

Yes of course, thats not a meaningful idea. :) Because you talked about the bug at the UTM and the MTU Size. Is there maybe a log for this kind of errors? 
  • In reply to Jonny Klaas:

I had a similar problem with updates - works fine since I've turned off Web Cache.

• In reply to BLS:

Also seeing this issue on iPhone's on a guest wireless network. 3rd party wireless hardware but DHCP and VLAN's handled by the XG. (XG310 running 17.5.5 MR5)

Some have no issue connecting to the app store, others cannot connect initially but may start working later in the day. 

Web Cache is switched off

• In reply to Greenie:

In that case, I wonder if this is the DHCP issue??

When devices cannot connect to the AppStore, can they open a web-page?

And is this switched on in Web-Exceptions?

• In reply to BLS:

Personally, as the app store is currently working, it's difficult to say if it can open a web page when not working.

There is no HTTP or HTTPS scanning on the guest network, so I don't believe those exceptions should come into play but it is turned on. The only web policies being applied are the default work place policy and restricting social media to only being accessed during non working hours, an application policy blocking WhatsApp during work hours and a QOS policy

• In reply to Greenie:

The issue has nothing to do with DHCP, the devices can surf the web, look at this forum, check email, just not update from the APP store.

My iPad cannot update 'find friends' but will update its home weather station monitoring application.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

rfcat_vk

The issue has nothing to do with DHCP, the devices can surf the web, look at this forum, check email, just not update from the APP store.

My iPad cannot update 'find friends' but will update its home weather station monitoring application.

Ian

I didn't think that would be the case, but worth checking as was thinking that the devices may not have got the gateway address, and therefore wouldn't have been able to get out...sometimes worth checking against known issues before looking further....

This sounds similar to issues I had, but opening up :- 

3478–3497 UDP nat-stun-port - ipether232port

FaceTime, Game Center

5223 TCP Apple Push Notification Service (APNS) iCloud DAV Services (Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks), Push Notifications, FaceTime, iMessage, Game Center, Photo Stream, Back to My Mac

16384–16387 UDP Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP), Real-Time Control Protocol (RTCP) connected, — FaceTime, Game Center
    16393–16402 UDP Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP), Real-Time Control Protocol (RTCP) FaceTime, Game Center
    16403–16472 UDP Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP), Real-Time Control Protocol (RTCP) Game Center

Seemed to resolve all issues I had..

• In reply to BLS:

Sorry, but  can surf the whole internet or get his emails without any problem, except a connection to the apple app store. 

He MUST have a gateway address? Sorry, can't follow your arguments?

Also, the Ports that you' ve posted, has nothing to do with the apple app store. 

On my site, I open all ports with the destination of any apple URL, which are posted here: https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT201999

So it can't be a problem with a closed port. There are also no events in the log, when I try to access to app store. 

• In reply to Jonny Klaas:

Jonny Klaas

Sorry, but  can surf the whole internet or get his emails without any problem, except a connection to the apple app store. 

He MUST have a gateway address? Sorry, can't follow your arguments?

Also, the Ports that you' ve posted, has nothing to do with the apple app store. 

On my site, I open all ports with the destination of any apple URL, which are posted here: https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT201999

So it can't be a problem with a closed port. There are also no events in the log, when I try to access to app store. 

Not necessarily - proxy settings - pac file - don't need a gateway address if the proxy IP or pac URL is on the same subnet, and would still be able to browse without a gateway address.\

I've also seen a lot of unexplained traffic on several of those ports, namely 5223 (XMPP over SSL) - and these are from machines that don't use FaceTime or iMessage...

Clutching at straws maybe, or maybe apple have changed things with the latest OS and not updated the firewall ports - don't forget too that the AppStore uses iCloud for authentication - oh and look

5223 TCP Apple Push Notification Service (APNS)

iCloud DAV Services (Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks), Push Notifications, FaceTime, iMessage, Game Center, Photo Stream, Back to My Mac

The AppStore (from what I cal tell) relies on 5223 to send out notifications of updates to applications - potential this could be the issue - worth a test...if it does problem solved, if it doesn't; back to the drawing board.

• In reply to BLS:

Hi,

thank you for the detailed response, but you have missed the original point, that the devices used to connect without these exceptions.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hi,

App store access totally broken on my iPad and MBP as of yesterday (my time). My iPhone which has been out of the home a number of times over the last couple of days works fine.

Nothing in the logs showing failed connections (firewall, IPS, WEB, Application).

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Just took my MBP outside the LAN network and back inside and the APP store works again. What gives?

Ian

But software updates do not work.

• In reply to LuCar Toni:

The affected AP wireless network is in bridge to AP LAN mode already.

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

When you cannot connect, what happens when you turn WiFi off and back on again on the device failing to connect?

• In reply to BLS:

Hi,

I have restarted the iPad, renewed the IP lease. The issue only affects APP store not data into the apps, web surfing.or mail.

The XG logs do not show any failed connections.

Ian