XG and port 587

When will XG recognise port 587 as SMTPS?

When will port 587 be added to the mail business rule?

Port 587 is the RFC designated mail port. Port 465 was a temporary mail port many years ago and is no longer recognised as the official smtps port, yes I know a lot of ISP and mail server recognise it be default.

Ian

• Hi  

Please refer to this KBA Sophos Firewall: How to customize SMTP scanning port where you can set the SMTPS port by using this command in the console: set service-param SMTPS add port 587

This should help you scan the Emails on port 587. You might try restarting SMTPD service in Advanced shell to take this into effect: service smtpd:restart -ds nosync

Hope this helps.

• In reply to Jaydeep:

Hi Jaydeep,

the XG console advises I can't do that because this port is already used. I tried adding port 465 and the answer was can't configure non standard port.

So while the XG thinks it is using 587 it is really using 465 as part of the mail business rule and you can't change it.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hi  

Please check if it's already added in other services or not using show service-param I was able to add it without any issues. You can only set it at either SMTP or SMTPS.

• In reply to Jaydeep:

Hi Jaydeep,

yes, it is added already from previous discussions on the subject.

You are confusing configuring a service with changing how a business rule is hard coded. SMTPS service is not used by the mail business rule. What I want to do is add 587 to the mail business rule.

Ian