There is a bug in the email imap proxy

Every so often I get time out errors on both ISP email accounts using IMAPS. At the same time outlook throws certificate errors. If I wait awhile, the error self heals. No it is not a network connection, speed tests show 50/20mbs. I would not mind so much if I was fiddling at the time, but I was elsewhere annoying weeds.

Why am I so sure it is the XG mail proxy, because I have another rule which does not use the mail proxy for the iPhones and iPads and they do not have an issue connecting and collecting messages.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Can you tell me something about the "history" of this appliance? 

Which Firmware did you use to install? Did you update the Version X to V17.1?

Currently all my tests works fine. My home appliance seems to work also fine. 

• In reply to LuCar Toni:

Hi MBP,

this one was rebuilt using 17.0.8 and the auto update installed v17.1.2 during the configuration.

I rebuilt it because I thought I had damaged a data file because an application does not appear in the drop list. After the rebuild I still had the same issue.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hi     

Can you shortly give me following information:

Outlook version affected.

Since which Firmware appeared this issue? 

Mail Programm affected (with Version). 

Hi ManBearPig,

I'm experiencing the issue with:

- Apple macOS 10.13 High Sierra - Standard Mail Client

- Apple macOS 10.14 Mojave - Standard Mail Client

- Apple iOS 11 - Standard Mail Client

- Apple iOS 12 - Standard Mail Client

Protocols:

- IMAPS Port 993

- SMTPS Port 587

XG Versions:

- I don't know exactly but I'm sure the problem appears sporadic at least since one year

- My XG KVM image was build in February 2017 with the newest image available that time and a Backup-Restore configuration

- I keep my XG always up to date (max. gap after new release should be 1 week :-) )

- Please let me know if there are log files of my upgrade history to provide you some more details

I hope this will help you a bit.

Best Regards

Dom Nik

My info is identical to Dom Nik. The issue for me is only with IMAP/S. SMTP works fine.

• In reply to shred:

I don't use SMTP very often with my private mail accounts. :-)

I noticed the SMTP problems only by doing the "Window --> Check connection" (I hope this is the correct english translation) of the macOS mail client.

Hi MBP,

my list is the same as Dom's. I think there might be a bug in  MAC Outlook because it keeps loosing the SMTP password, but this is a recent issue, since the last MS update.

For what it is worth, I have not seen any timeouts for about 12 hours which is unusual, since I put the MAC on line using my hotspot.

Dom, Shred do you have IPv6 running on your XGs?

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

We have open a bug ID for this. The Daemon (warren) handel all IMAP, POP3, MAPI requests seems to have a issue. Currently we try to reproduce this to get the root cause, so stay tuned. 

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hi Ian,

i'm on IPv4 only to use VPN on demand. My ISP supports IPv6 DS only right now.

Best Regards

Dom

Hi,

I have business customers affected with the same.
    They are using Thunderbird and are having connection timeouts when syncing via IMAPs.

Would you be so kind to let us know when the root cause is identified and ETA for fix?

Customers are using latest 17.1 MR3 with paid licenses.

Best Regards!

• In reply to Tech Centio:

Hi Tech,

I believe this issue has been fixed in v17.5 beta-2 which I am currently using. I have only been using the beta version for a couple of days and have not seen any issues with my mail other than ISP (had a major outage) ones.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Dear Ian,

I cant find any related fixes in the changelog.
    Can somebody from Sophos officials confirm that this issue is addressed in the up coming v17.5?

Have a great day.

• In reply to Tech Centio:

Hi Tech,

I will have to ask flosupport for an update because he was managing this issue.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hi folks,

Thank you Flo for the update.

Flo checked the status and found the NC is still open. Interesting as to what else was fixed the might have had a flow on effect?

Ian