System "heaviness"

Hi Guys

i am currently using 2 xg firewall - both are virtual machines on esxi hosts.

both vm have 2 cpu and 4gb of ram.

i have a lot of experience working with firewall

(forigates, checkpoints, pfsense, etc)

my recent migration to xg is successful but the most "noticeable" difference i can point is:

the general heaviness, sluggishness and overall slowness of the system.

am i not givving the VM's enough resources?

or is the system heavy by design?

• What do you mean with slowness? 

The GUI? 

• In reply to LuCar Toni:

Hi

yes, exactly. the GUI is sluggish and heavy at least for me 

• In reply to Avi Bar Ilan:

Have you tried bumping up the resources of the VM, maybe shut one firewall off and bump the other up to see if this increases the GUI speed just as a test to narrow down if it is hardware?  Also is your ESXi using platter or SSD, I know the hardware versions of the XG utilize SSD which can greatly increase performance.

Aside from hardware what security aspects are you using?  IPS, Web Content?  HTTP and or HTTPS scanning?  Do you have all the IPS aspects enabled, are there some you can disable given the systems you are protecting?  

• In reply to Dane Seelen:

Hi,

what version of XG are you running some of the later versions have improved throughput. Also how much ram is the XG using and how full are your disks specifically the swap space?

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

It depends on the Operation, you currently use.

If you browser through the GUI, it should be fast.

If you change for example a firewall policy, it could be "slow" in terms of the XG has to rerun all Policies etc. 

• In reply to LuCar Toni:

Hi,

the XG GUI is slow compared to say the UTM.

I have found my XG GUI improves with a restart after being up for 13 days. As LuCar advised inter GUI moves to review settings is relatively quick. 

With VMs have you locked memory and CPU cycles to the XG exclusively?

In one of the more recent MRs there was a noticeable performance improvement.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hi

let me try to clearify:

firstly, i have the VM running on an SSD, 2 cpu and 4gb ram.

i had a forti vm and a pfsense running on the same datastore, same cpu and ram count and both forti and pfsense gui were running and performing much faster.

also, running the same load, forti and pfsense were showing average ram usage of 20% while xg is running at no less than 40%

on login, both forti and pfsense loaded the web ui in about 1-2 seconds while xg loads after about 5-6 seconds.

switching between pages was instantaneous on forti and pfsense while on xg there is a few seconds delay until pages load

(clicking on the "firewall" or Vpn" link on the gui) 

• Emrick Jack

Hi Guys

i am currently using 2 xg firewall - both are virtual machines on ESXi hosts.

both VM has 2 cpu and 4gb of ram.

i have a lot of experience working with firewall

(frigates, checkpoints, pfsense, etc)

my recent migration to xg is successful but the most "noticeable" difference i can point is:

the general heaviness, sluggishness and overall slowness of the system.

am I not giving the VM's enough resources?

or is the system heavy by design?

I Really Like This Post Very Helpfull Post I Sguetsoin My Friends on This Site

• In reply to Emrick Jack:

HI,

you will not get any real arguments about the XG GUI speed, it has been discussed at length and is caused by the amount of data it loads/sends (quoting from an earlier thread somewhere in the order of 2MB). V18 is promising to provide a leaner and faster GUI.

I am not sure what you are comparing between the various firewalls that you quoted as to functions in the configuration. Also memory should not be an issue, memory is cheap, the limit being 6gb for a home user licence.

Ian

• In reply to rfcat_vk:

Hi

you have actually answered my question. sort of

i wanted to know if the "heaviness" an issue on my side or is caused by design.

so now, i understand thats "its not just me" it is heavy and sluggish by design (or design flaw)

but sadly,

i understand that there is nothing i can do to improve it other than to wait to version 18

• In reply to Avi Bar Ilan:

Hi Avi,

the GUI performance is only an issue if you like me ike to fiddle with your configuration. If you a set it an leave it person then the GUI performance is not issue.

I have a small XG running an Atom 1.9ghz processor, 4 ports and 6GB of ram and an SSD. I was using this until I got tired of waiting for the GUI to update, so I reverted to my e3-1225v5 based processor which run s around 3.7GHZ. I like to where I can test out questions asked in these forums to provide practical answers, so the faster processor was a must. The Atom unit uses 10w where as the e3 unit uses about 25w.

Most home based and even VM based servers have power savings enabled on the processor where as the hardware XGs have power saving disabled to improve performance. So you can improve GUI performance by disabling power savings in your VM and BIOS.

Ian