This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mobile Hotspot

Good day Everyone,

 I configure Sophos Utm in my office and creating different web policies. These policies only allow specific group of systems while blocking all others. For testing, i turned on my mobile hotspot from my laptop and connect my phone. I can easily browse even though it is not allowed to access the internet. Could you please help me, how to find a way to completely block all other systems via mobile hotspots.

It simply a work group environment.

Regards,

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello sm khan,

this isn't really a Web Appliance question, is it? The Web Appliance and the UTM are different beasts.

I can easily browse
    just to make sure, you mean you connect your phone and are then able to browse from the phone even though your laptop isn't allowed to access the Internet?

Christian

• Thank You so much for your reply. Actually my laptop is allowed but my phone is not in the allowed list. So how to isolate of or block only my phone connected to the hotspot.

• Hello sm khan,

I see. In this case the UTM can't tell that a packet is coming from your phone and not your laptop. In other words the traffic appears as coming from your laptop.

Christian

• Thanks for your guidance. Let me clear my confusion about the device specific authentication. What if i allow only Windows and Mac and block android / IOS???

Thanks with Regards,

• Hello sm khan,

an upstream router has no indication that a device is acting as a mobile hotspot. Anything connecting through it is "invisible". The UTM sees just your Windows or Mac computer, the phone or whatever authenticates with the hotspot, not the UTM - v.v. the phone doesn't know (and doesn't care) what's behind the hotspot. A hotspot and everything connected to it appears as just one device to its upstream router.

Christian

• Hello sm khan,

an upstream router has no indication that a device is acting as a mobile hotspot. Anything connecting through it is "invisible". The UTM sees just your Windows or Mac computer, the phone or whatever authenticates with the hotspot, not the UTM - v.v. the phone doesn't know (and doesn't care) what's behind the hotspot. A hotspot and everything connected to it appears as just one device to its upstream router.

Christian

Children
No Data