This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Email Appliance Clustering

Hi,

Hi, i am planning to decommision our Sophos es1000 appliance and transfer and use Sophos Virtual Email appliance. May i ask if is it possible for us to migrate completely to VM setup?

Here's what i want to do and want to setup:

Phase 1 - Appliance clustered to VM #1
Phase 2 - VM #1 will be clustered to VM #2
                  and deactivate appliance.

How to configure clustering between appliance and VM to VM? when i configure clustering does the secondary appliance (VM) automatically have the same configuration to the Physical Appliance?

Any inputs is highly appreciated. THanks in advance.

:35801

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi tedz,

Sure, you can migrate completely to VM and clustering is the best way to share configuration.  However, the order in which you do the clustering is very important:

1.  Begin the installation wizard on the new VM.  Or if it is already setup go to 'Configuration | System | Clustering'

2.  Cluster by entering the hostname of the existing physical appliance

This causes the new VM to take configuration from the hardware appliance.  You can add both your VMs to the cluster in the same way and changing a setting on one appliance will replicate that setting on all 3.

Once you are happy you can route email through the new VM appliance (eg. change firewall rules or MX record).  Although. I'd actually suggest to leave the physical appliance in the cluster for a while, even when it is not being used.  When you are happy that the reporting/quarantine data is no longer needed, you can remove it from the cluster.

- Tom.

:35809
  • Hi Tom,

thanks for the advice. i appreciate it.

Regards,

Ted

:35893
  • We have ES100 email appliance and we just purchased an ES1100. Could I cluster both device and run together?

I am having trouble finding documentation on how to migrate config file from ES1000 to ES1100

:36301
  • Hi BopBop,

Sure, the software on all the Email appliances is the same, it's just that the hardware is different.  So you can cluster them together no problem.

Again, just make sure you do it this way round:

1.  Begin the installation wizard on the NEW APPLIANCE.  Or if it is already setup go to 'Configuration | System | Clustering'

2.  Cluster by entering the hostname of the OLD APPLIANCE

They will share the config / reports / quarantine for as long as they are clustered.

If for any reason you can't do clustering, then Sophos support can help you migrate the config instead.  But clustering is by far the best way :-)

Good luck!

Tom.

:36311
  • Hi,

I am configuring a clustering between my ES1000 and ES1100 (both of them are updated to the same version of software). Both of the appliances are being configured in the same network as they can ping each other. However, I am having a problem to join my ES1000 to my ES1100 as it shown "Join failed. Check that network settings and hostname/IP are correct.", and I can sure that the IP address that I entered is correct. Did I miss out any configuration step before this?