This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

PureMessage hangs Exchange 2007 during SAV install

Our Exchange 2007 Server stopped responding during a Sophos Endpoint.  In our windows logs we got an error 83.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        PureMessage
Date:          10/5/2011 9:52:15 AM
Event ID:      83
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      FCEX4.FortCollins.local
Description:
PureMessage store scanning has encountered an application error (details: 'Sophos Anti-Virus Interface (SAVI) returned an error whilst scanning. Please check your Sophos Anti-Virus installation.')

We attempted to stop the PureMessage service, it would not fully stop and restarted itself and everything returned to normal.

The event right before this event was

Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\cache\savxp\Sophos Anti-Virus.msi. Client Process Id: 15984.

Any ideas on this?  Thank you.

:17525

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

The error with Event ID 83 is tied to a software update for SAV, as evidenced by what you saw in the event viewer. What happens is that as the SAV update occurs, the interface that communicates with the Puremessage service also gets updated and needs to reloaded, but somehow it doesn't properly detach or reattach itself with Puremessage.

A restart of the service generally clears the error and there is no reoccurance. As a precaution, anyone planning on running a SAV update on an Exchange server running Puremessage should monitor the status of that update along with the services to ensure that SAVI works afterwards.

Let us know if there's anything else.

:17871
  • Hello GaryK, I too run in to this error, today but also october 1. I haven't experienced errors yet, but I would really like to know how to resolve this once and for all.

I have restarted the service for now, but how can I make sure this works when ever there is an update, since we have no control over those, they are pushed by Sophos.

:35185