This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Web Management/ Web Control Policies not working for specific websites

I've been testing out the Website management in Sophos central. I've successfully been able to block certain websites such as Reddit and Tumblr, but when it comes to websites like Facebook and Youtube, the block doesn't work. Here's everything I did, step by step:

1) Global Settings -> Website Management -> Add ->

After this, I created my own custom policy called "Website Blocking", then added available users and assigned them the policy. 

Then added the tags and configured websites under those tags to be blocked:

Initially I tried this in the base web policy and got the same results. I can still access youtube which is tagged under "Streaming" and categorized under "Entertainment" and I also still access Facebook which is tagged under "Social Media" and categorized under "Entertainment", but access to Reddit and Tumblr has been blocked and the following page is displayed when I try to access those websites:

I'm a bit confused by this as well because I assumed that there was supposed to be a page which was customized by Sophos mentioning that website access has been blocked (not sure about this) but if anyone can help me with these issues it'll be a great help.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Shaan,

This post should be in the Sophos Central group.  The Web Appliance is a physical/virtual appliance on your environment dedicated to scanning web traffic.

Websites not displaying a a Sophos block page are expected if the website is accessed via HTTPS.  HTTPS traffic is encrypted; although Sophos Web Control can see where the destination of the traffic is and block it, it can't intercept the traffic to display a block message.  To display a block message you'll need to have an appliance such as XG or Web Appliance to intercept the traffic and present clients with a trusted certificate.

You can see if Sophos is blocking the websites if you open up the User Interface on the computers and checking Events.  You can also see this in Sophos Central if you navigate to the computer.

If facebook is not being blocked, try creating a tag for facebook.com as well as www.facebook.com.  If it is still not being blocked, try turning on Acceptable web usage on the policy and setting all categories to allow.

• Hi Shaan,

This post should be in the Sophos Central group.  The Web Appliance is a physical/virtual appliance on your environment dedicated to scanning web traffic.

Websites not displaying a a Sophos block page are expected if the website is accessed via HTTPS.  HTTPS traffic is encrypted; although Sophos Web Control can see where the destination of the traffic is and block it, it can't intercept the traffic to display a block message.  To display a block message you'll need to have an appliance such as XG or Web Appliance to intercept the traffic and present clients with a trusted certificate.

You can see if Sophos is blocking the websites if you open up the User Interface on the computers and checking Events.  You can also see this in Sophos Central if you navigate to the computer.

If facebook is not being blocked, try creating a tag for facebook.com as well as www.facebook.com.  If it is still not being blocked, try turning on Acceptable web usage on the policy and setting all categories to allow.

Children
No Data