Open IPv6 Issues / questions

- will the fix for issue NUTM-7187 be included with 9.5?

- is there a fix in the works for IPv6 Connections where the WAN Port is supposed to use an address out of the delegated prefix? Currently users of such ISPs do not get any IPv6 address. (for esxample KPN netherlands)

- what about the ability to change/edit the UID for IPv6 Delegation Requests?

- what about long standing feature requests such as 6tunnel integration, lets encrypt - is that on the roadmap? Users, myself included had high hopes for 9.5 but this seems to be more than a maintance release.

thank you in advance.

Parents
  • Hi Ben, please see my answers inline below:

Ben said:

- will the fix for issue NUTM-7187 be included with 9.5?

[BL]: The fix for NUTM-7187 is not included in this current UTM 9.5 beta version. We are actively working on the fix right now though, so as soon as we have a confirmed fix it will be included in a subsequent release.

- is there a fix in the works for IPv6 Connections where the WAN Port is supposed to use an address out of the delegated prefix? Currently users of such ISPs do not get any IPv6 address. (for esxample KPN netherlands)

[BL]: This should be supported today, unless the ISP is doing both stateless & stateful. Is that the case for you? If so, we are fixing that as part of NUTM-7187 as well.

- what about the ability to change/edit the UID for IPv6 Delegation Requests?

[BL]: Unfortunately this isn't part of this 9.5 release.

- what about long standing feature requests such as 6tunnel integration, lets encrypt - is that on the roadmap? Users, myself included had high hopes for 9.5 but this seems to be more than a maintance release.

[BL]: Lets Encrypt is on our current roadmap, but it's mainly planned as a WAF feature. As for 6tunnel integration, it's currently not planned for any specific release.

thank you in advance.

• Hi Bobby,

Normally the ISPs router will then request /48 prefix and use a /64 from that prefix for the wan interface and a /64for the lan interface. So there are no other global ipv6 addresses than the ones from that /48.

On the Sophos UTM, in my case I will only receive a link local IPv6 address via PPPoE. Using a tcpdump I have verified the UTM is not sending out a prefix request after the PPPoE has been established. Is it waiting for a advertised IPv6 address for the WAN interface first before it will do this? Because in this case it will never get it... And thus a IPv6 prefix will never be requested.

If you want to have a look at my Sophos VM, or need some tcpdumps of the PPPoE setup let me know!

Rene

• A little bit lost, is probably the correct term :+ I had it working for a few minutes, but somehow I've lost IPv6 connectivity and can't get it back... Even after a factory reset.

My first attempt when I got it working: clean 9.5 beta, installed the patch, restarted the watchdog service, enabled IPv6.
    Enabled IPv6 Default Gateway on my WAN interface, added a static IPv6 address to my LAN interface, and created a Prefix Advertisement for my LAN.
    I didn't create a new default route myself, it was added automatically. Client received an IPv6 address in my /64 range, and I was able to go to ipv6-test.com. (I did notice that my clients IPv6 address was actually the LAN's interface address, not the clients privacy extension address ??)
    When checking under Interfaces, the WAN interface showed DEFAULT GW <IPv4> | fe80::2a0:a50f:fc78:5530
    For some reason it now only displays DEFAULT GW <IPv4> | :: 
    Like it doesn't have a gateway anymore.

I forgot to write down some log/commands in my first attempt, so these are from my second attempt.
    /var/log/ipv6.log
    2017:04:19-23:15:15 router ipv6_watchdog[8749]: Installing default route via fe80::2a0:a50f:fc78:5530 for interface ppp0(ifidx 12)

Seems fine to me.

ip -6 route
    default via fe80::2a0:a50f:fc78:5530 dev ppp0 proto ra metric 1024 expires 1578sec hoplimit 64

Seems also fine, the same LL address I got on my opnsense firewall.

Getting a little bit late now, so I will test again tomorrow.

• I have not seen the "Installing default route" in my logs.

Attached are my PPPoE and IPv6 log files.

logfiles_20170420085819.zip

• Checked my logs as well, and they are quite the same.

So.. I decided to start over. No factory reset yet, just config-wise.
    Removed all my IPv6 settings on my interfaces, deleted Prefix for my LAN, disabled IPv6.
    Re-applied the patch (I know, shouldn't matter), restarted the watchdog service, and reconnected the PPPoE connection.

Gave my LAN a static address 2001:981:9D6E:1::1
    Re-created the Prefix Advertisement for my LAN.
    Enabled the "IPv6 Default GW" on my WAN. (2017:04:20-12:10:38 router ipv6_watchdog[10859]: Installing default route via fe80::2a0:a50f:fc78:5530 for interface ppp0(ifidx 19))
    WAN interface shows: DEFAULT GW 194.109.5.175 | ::
    After reconnecting the WAN: DEFAULT GW 194.109.5.175 | fe80::2a0:a50f:fc78:5530

No working connection :(
    So, why not try a reboot, solves everything right? Appearantly it does :O After a reboot I could imediately ping and surf to IPv6 hosts.

I saw something new in the ipv6.log: Started dhclient6 -P
    Let's hope it keeps working now!
    This is also in René's logfile, but I didn't see it in mine before. Attached are my ipv6.log and pppoe.log. Everything before 12:15 is before the reboot, and after 12.15 is after the reboot.

There is one thing I already noticed, my clients are using my LAN's address 2001:981:9D6E:1::1 as outgoing address. Is this expected behavior? Security wise? Or should a client always use their temporary privacy extension address? 

Logs.zip

• I tried rebooting, disabling IPv6 etc. but no matter what I try I am not seeing the following lines in my log:

2017:04:20-12:18:18 router ipv6_watchdog[4332]: Installing default route via fe80::2a0:a50f:fc78:5530 for interface ppp0(ifidx 10)
    2017:04:20-12:18:18 router ipv6_watchdog[4332]: JSON "ppp0", "unknown", "up", { "gateway6": "fe80::2a0:a50f:fc78:5530", "network6":"1"}
    2017:04:20-12:18:18 router ipv6_watchdog[4332]: RA flags changed for interface ppp0(ifidx 10): SENT,READY -> SENT,RCVD,READY

Somehow the creation of the default route does not work for me.

If you do a reconnect, will it keep working? 

• You made me break my IPv6 :( :+
    It was working untill I reconnected my PPPoE. A reboot didn't solve it this time, and right now deleting my IPv6 settings and re-applying them didn't solve it either. 
    So.. eh, weird. Maybe more time this weekend.

• i can only advice to record connects with tcpdump for later wireshark dissection, was able to find problems really fast through that. 

say your pppoe interface is eth1, 

# tcpdump -i eth1 pppoes and ip6 -v -w /home/login/eth1-pppoes-datestamp.pcap

i did that with all patches and before so i could see the changes.

edit: fixed a typo in the tcpdump, its "ip6" not "ipv6"

---

Sophos UTM 9.3 Certified Engineer

• Somehow it also a relief that you can reproduce my problem ;)

If you just add the default route manually it should work for now:
    # route add -A inet6 default gw <remote LL> dev ppp0

Regarding the issue that everything was using 2001:981:9D6E:1::1. Are you doing some NAT translation?

• Hi All,

My name is Duc Le. I am a new member of NSG.

I've been working with Prakash on this issue for a bit of time before his vacation.

Since I am a newbie on this issue, I just wonder if you (rklomp and SanderRutten)

can do the followings (A):

1) Running the system (UTM with Prakash patch) as vanilla as possible. This is to reduce noise.

Only concentrate on IPv6 address problem. (this is only a reminder, please ignore if you already. Thanks)

2) Capture tcpdump

3) Capture UTM log files (ipv6 and pppoe) and other logs if you think they are needed

4) Capture system log (dmesg)

5) Capture these: ifconfig -a, route table info, ps -elaf

6) Misc Info as you think needed

I suspected there might be some sort of race condition as to sometimes you see "Installing default route"

and sometimes not.

That's all for now. Please let me know your comments, ideas or questions. Thanks.

Regards

Le

P.S. I prefer to be called Le. Thanks.

• Hi Ben, rklomp & SanderRutten,

Thank you for your continued efforts to help us troubleshoot & test this issue.

Le is another member on our team, and he'll be taking over this issue from Prakash since Prakash went on holiday earlier this week. Prakash handed over the issue before he left, but please forgive us if Le asks for some redundant information as he gets up to speed on the issue.

If I followed the thread correctly, I think Ben's issues are completely resolved with Prakash's latest patch, but rklomp & SanderRutten still has the issue of missing default route?

Thanks again for all your time & effort in helping us improve the product!

• Hi Bobby,

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot and help on this issue so quickly!
    You are correct, for SanderRutten and me the only issue left is the missing default route.

I am away this weekend, but will try to make some more captures next week. See my previous post for pppoe and ipv6 logs.

Thanks for the efforts!

Regards,

René

Reply Children
No Data