This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wifi disappears when RED is offline for a short periode

Hi all,

I've a Sophos SG115 and a RED15 (in Standard/Unified-mode). Behind the RED is a AP55 connected to the LAN. I configured a simple wireless network with WPA2/AES bridged to the AP LAN. For the LAN behind the RED I've also setup a DHCP-Server.

Everything works fine, but when the RED goes offline for a 2-4 minutes, the wifi also disappears (the AP blinks amber). This is annoying because in the wifi are a few clients which need permanent access to the local (RED) LAN.

Could this behavior be changed in a way, that the wireless network work for a longer time (~30 min) if the connection to the controller is lost.

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Josef,

What happens if you change the configuration to Standard/Split?  If you want their Internet traffic to pass through the UTM, just add "Internet IPv4" to 'Split Networks'.  I think that's the way it works, but please post back with your result.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The problem is that with an unstable RED Connection everything behind it will stop working, if the UTM is unreachable. The WLAN clients may keep their addresses because of the lease time but there will be no receiver for the signals, if the UTM isn't reachable. I think you would run better with a 3rd party AP here that stays connected to the LAN even when the connection to the UTM dies.

We had a support case like this a half year ago, for some reason the RED50 was always losing contact to the UTM after some time and started to reboot. Internet connection of the UTM and the external router before the RED never lost a single ping during the reboots. But the whole RED network and all services behind weren't usable anymore because of the reboot/reconnection. ISPs never found a problem when analyzing the internet connections at all. The RED50 rebooted nearly 100 times a day, sometimes it wasn't even able to reconnect within 30 minutes which at night caused an automatic alarm system to send many false positive alarm notifications, customers technicians were called out of bed.... and we had a VERY VERY unpleasant customer at all...

Only solution there was to take back the REDat our costs and to sell a small UTM with NET subscription. Since that no single complain about losing connections.

At another customer we are running 2 RED 15s with WLAN AP 15s behind and never ever had any connection problems.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• "Only solution there was to take back the RED at our costs and to sell a small UTM with NET subscription"

Kevin, I've been recommending the same (105/115 with Net) instead of the RED 50 since shortly after the SG line came out.  The SG solution with subscription renewals is less expensive than the RED 50 with warranty extensions and it gives you much more flexibility.  The RED 15 is a good solution for a small office if it doesn't need 100Mbps+ connectivity.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for your answers.

Replacing the RED15 would be no option, because there are many of them :-) and it is the perfekt solution for this scenario (many small PoS ...).

I got the problem workarounded by updating the provider LTE-router (Internet connection for the RED) which result now in a way more stable internet-connection.

bye Josef

BERGMANN engineering & consulting GmbH, Wien/Austria