This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

115w - WiFi failing every day after firmware update

Hello,

I am running a 115w on 9.411-3 with the internal WiFi at 2.4GHz and bridged to AP LAN for over a year now with no problem at all, but since about one week I have noticed that the wifi keeps failing almost every day on almost the same time (19:00-21:00 in the evening). Changing the configuration to force the AP to get reconfigured hasn't helped. The only solution I found is to reboot the whole device.

The only thing I did in the past was the firmware updates, so I blame Sophos for it. Has anyone noticed problems with one of the latest firmwares and the internal WiFi?

If necessary I can provide my logs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dino

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I just found these lines in my log:

2017:03:26-20:24:56 92 hostapd: handle_probe_req: send failed
    2017:03:26-20:24:56 92 hostapd: Using interface wifi3 with hwaddr 00:1a:8c:0a:53:03 and ssid "SSID1"
    2017:03:26-20:24:56 92 hostapd: Failed to create interface wifi1: -23 (Too many open files in system)
    2017:03:26-20:24:56 92 hostapd: Try to remove and re-create wifi1
    2017:03:26-20:24:57 92 hostapd: Using interface wifi1 with hwaddr 00:1a:8c:0a:87:01 and ssid "SSID2"
    2017:03:26-20:24:57 92 hostapd: Failed to create interface wifi2: -23 (Too many open files in system)
    2017:03:26-20:24:57 92 hostapd: Try to remove and re-create wifi2
    2017:03:26-20:24:57 92 hostapd: Using interface wifi2 with hwaddr 00:1a:8c:0a:7a:02 and ssid "SSID3"
    2017:03:26-20:24:57 92 hostapd: Failed to create interface wifi4: -23 (Too many open files in system)
    2017:03:26-20:24:57 92 hostapd: Try to remove and re-create wifi4
    2017:03:26-20:24:58 92 hostapd: Using interface wifi4 with hwaddr 00:1a:8c:0a:e6:04 and ssid "SSID4"
    2017:03:26-20:24:58 92 hostapd: wifi3: interface state HT_SCAN->ENABLED

(I changed the SSID names)

After these, the WiFi won't work until a reboot.

• Dino, sometimes the Up2Date process mangles part of a configuration.  Try restoring the configuration backup made just before the last time you applied Up2Dates.  Any luck with that?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi, Humberto - you've apparently been around for awhile, but welcome to the UTM Community!

Thanks for sharing that!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Humberto Garcia said:

Had same issues and found in a German forum to add athk9 (my case) or athk10 to /etc/modules file and reboot unit....

working fine now on 9.5...

Many thanks Humberto, 

will give this a shot...
  • R V said:

The upgrade (Up2Date) to UTM 9.500-9 earlier this week (May 8, 2017) has completely broken WiFi on my SG-115w:

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? I'm still investigating, will post findings here.

Yes. I did the update today and can confirm that 9.500-9 has also broken the WiFi in my SG115w.

• I had the same issues when upgrading to 9.5 on my SG105W. 

I tried to add both athk9 and athk10 with no success. 

After looking in the Active Access Points list, I could see my AP listed as "ath9k", instead of "athk9"

After adding ath9k to the /etc/modules file, followed by a reboot, my WLAN came back to life. 

// Sophos UTM Certified Architect

• Same here:

So it seems that the root cause of this bug is a simple typo. 

I will not add it manually to /etc/modules and wait for a new firmware. Luckily I also have an AP30 which I can use until there is an update.

• Ok, ath9k is correct. It's the Linux driver for Atheros 802.11n PCI/PCI-E devices

https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k

Maybe Umberto just had a typo in his post.

• I'm glad this works for you but it doesn't work for me.

I have tried all the items in the below article even though I did have everything set up in the 1st place.

How to configure the UTM SG-W series internal wireless card with Bridge-to-LAN

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/122080

I've got a bunch of these units that were upgraded to 9.5 and they are now all broken. I opened a case with Sophos support and the only theory they had was to try adding the wireless devices to the /etc/modules file. In other words they don't have a clue but they recommended your suggestion.

All they would confirm was that they broke their own piece of hardware with their own software and they have not got a fix yet. The tech was hoping that it will be in the next 9.5 up2date release in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

In the meantime can you or Bob or any of the other UTM super techs offer me some other suggestions on how this thing might be made to work or is downgrading to 4.9 or waiting out their malfeasance the only true options?

Best Regards - HTG
    Frustrated Sophos Partner seeing all the things
    that brought me to Sophos slowly slip away.
    RIP astaro.org

• I've read that adding the ath9k to modules isn't enough.

Edit:

/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf-default

look for:

ht_capab = [<HT_CAPAB>]

change to:

ht_capab = [<HT40 +>] [<SHORT-GI-40>] [<TX-STBC>] [<RX STBC1>] [<DSSS_CCK-40>]

then edit:

/etc/modules

add:

ath9k

Restart the MDW services using "/etc/init.d/mdw restart"

I had not had a chance to try this yet but if you already have the 9.5x release then it's worth it to try.

Update:

After trying the above procedure on my own UTM, it didn't work initially. Found another post on Sophos Community with the following ht_capab:

ht_capab=[HT40+][SHORT-GI-40][TX-STBC][RX-STBC1][DSSS_CCK-40]

After a reboot, wifi is back up and running.

• Thanks Exp3371.

Seems worth a try.

Can you link us to where you read this from further reading?

Also, Can anyone explain what this actually doing?

Also, can anyone confirm success after having tried this?

Best Regards - HTG
    Frustrated Sophos Partner seeing all the things
    that brought me to Sophos slowly slip away.
    RIP astaro.org

• See my updated post. Found the correct ht_capab settings from another post:

ht_capab=[HT40+][SHORT-GI-40][TX-STBC][RX-STBC1][DSSS_CCK-40]

wifi is back and stable with those settings on 9.502-4

Best of luck to you!

Reply Children
  • This doesnt work under 105w with 9.503 upgrade

Did notice that the wireless is unstable (status is multiple times a day offline, two ways to get them back -> disabling the WLAN Interfaces or restart the middleware) because the customer did complain about it - did edit the ht_capab with your suggestion, did add the module to the list but still get this offline issue multiple times per day, which is more then annoying, because im in the line of fire from the customer, because im the first level of support.

BTW - Got multiple installations without internal wifi ... no problem but with this intergrated WLAN i did get serious problems from the beginning (bridge to ap lan is not working, disconnects, etc.).

Maybe for another customer, i'll never propagate a W model again.

• Unknown said:

This doesnt work under 105w with 9.503 upgrade 

The reason is, integrated wireless is (again) broken in 9.503.

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/127508

bye Josef

BERGMANN engineering & consulting GmbH, Wien/Austria