This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

2 UTM's & wireless

We have a SG310 with Sophos AP's connected.

We also have another SG310 in another location and as the limit is 125 clients on an SG310, we were wondering if we could add more to to the other SG310 with none on it?

ie a 50/50 split? problem is, the AP's when setting up go for the internet upstream which is sort of automatic in our case so they keep registering with the same UTM.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • There's no hard limit to the number of users behind a 310.  There are a number of factors to consider here.  If you have confidence in them, you should ask your Solution Partner for a recommendation.  I know I would probably bill 2-to-4 hours, but they should be able to do it in less time as they already should have some familiarity with your setup, connection speeds, the loads on your 310s, etc.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

apologies. When I said clients I should have made it clearer that I meant wireless access points. According to our re-seller, the SG 3's have a limit of 127 access points, the SG 4's can do 254. Looks like the limit is something to with subnetting?

But it would be good to be able to balance the ap's eg 100 ap's on 1st UTM and another 100 on the 2nd UTM.

• Ah, you're right, Louis, you can bring a UTM to its knees with too many APs and SSIDs.  In essence, each SSID/wlan that's not bridged to the LAN where the AP is uses a RED tunnel to communicate with the UTM.

Unless these 310s are doing nothing other than Wireless Protection, there's a good chance the 310s are underpowered for what you intend to do.

I would get specific recommendations from your reseller or Sophos.  They'll need to know how many SSIDs you plan to have on which APs located in which places, what the other loads will be on each UTM, etc.n  If you have yet to purchase all of these APs, you should get Sophos pre-sales engineers involved.  They are consistently knowledgeable and they have excellent access to the top minds at Sophos when it comes to situations like yours.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Where can i find a List of these limitations for accesspoints?

SG 3** 127?
    SG 4** 254?
    There are no infos in the datasheets of the utms. 

i thought it depends on the load of utm's

Sophos Platinum Partner 
    Sophos Certified Architect
    (Ceritfied UTM Architect / Certified XG Architect)

• I was slightly out on those numbers:

SG310 = 122 max

SG430 = 222 max  (technical limit)

Sizing guide is here:

http://networkguy.de/?p=724

• Some large-volume resellers have put a copy of the Partners' "SG Series Sizing Guide" on their sites.  If you truly are in the market for a UTM and a lot of Access Points, then you should have your reseller work through that with you.  Even then, for a large number of APs, your reseller will need help from Sophos pre-sales engineers.

The technical limit is 222 APs on the 430 and larger.  The maximum recommended for the SG 310 is 125 APs.  That number should be reduced if there are other loads.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA