This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hotspot with local user authentication

Hello,

we are planning a wifi hotspot where users need to authenticate with appropriate credentials. The users should be created locally on the sophos SG135 Firewall. Currently we are Using Version 9.309003 and the hotspot works fine with voucher and any other authentication option. 

No i tried to switch to backend authentication, and added a group "internet-users" to the hotspot users box where all local users are included. when i enter the credentials on the login page i always get an error  "incorrect Login Data"

2015:03:19-15:07:31 SW***X hshttpd[6395]: portal="REF_HotPorSchlerwohn" user="peter.riederer" mac="XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" comment="" action="login failed" reason="incorrect login data"
2015:03:19-15:09:32 SW***X hshttpd[8490]: portal="REF_HotPorSchlerwohn" user="peter.riederer" mac="XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" comment="" action="login failed" reason="incorrect login data"

the authentication log:

2015:03:19-15:07:31 SW***X aua[3558]: id="3006" severity="info" sys="System" sub="auth" name="Child 7579 is running too long. Terminating child"
2015:03:19-15:07:31 SW***X aua[8312]: id="3005" severity="warn" sys="System" sub="auth" name="Authentication failed" srcip="0.0.0.0" host="" user="peter.riederer" caller="hotspot" reason="DENIED"
2015:03:19-15:09:31 SW***X aua[3558]: id="3006" severity="info" sys="System" sub="auth" name="Child 8312 is running too long. Terminating child"
2015:03:19-15:09:31 SW***X aua[8506]: id="3005" severity="warn" sys="System" sub="auth" name="Authentication failed" srcip="0.0.0.0" host="" user="peter.riederer" caller="hotspot" reason="DENIED"

also tried to enter the users manually in the hotspot user box, but the problem is still the same.

In a sophos KB-Article i read, the users must be Remote Authentication Users, but we dont have any Remote Mechanism like AD available there, hence this is not really an option.

There would be an other option, doing an authentication via the web-proxy which is working, but the login page is not mobile optimized, and it's a popup window where some mobiles have problems with, and i didnt found any option to disable the HTTPS-Login Page, hence on Chrome Browers for mobile e.g. the Page is always blocked on the first attempt.

But we really need a user based authentication for user specified web traffic reports, so any Tipps & Tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Peter

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Bob, yes i know that of course, but if there are more users in the lease table i need to know the MAC-Adress as well, otherwises i am not able to create a user-based host object.

Nevertheless i tried it yesterday and it works like a charm. I am also glad there is an Option in the DHCP Settings allowing only users with a static host entry, hence i am able to lockout unknown users which is quite cool. With that solution the users neither need to sign on everytime. This is really more comfortable because we have some disabled people here too.

The initial Setup per User is a little bit more effort, but i think i am just writing a small manual how to find out the MAC-Adress of several devices and then everything will be fine.

Cheers Peter
  • Bob, yes i know that of course, but if there are more users in the lease table i need to know the MAC-Adress as well, otherwises i am not able to create a user-based host object.

Nevertheless i tried it yesterday and it works like a charm. I am also glad there is an Option in the DHCP Settings allowing only users with a static host entry, hence i am able to lockout unknown users which is quite cool. With that solution the users neither need to sign on everytime. This is really more comfortable because we have some disabled people here too.

The initial Setup per User is a little bit more effort, but i think i am just writing a small manual how to find out the MAC-Adress of several devices and then everything will be fine.

Cheers Peter
Children
No Data