This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

115w - do these actually work?

Set up our first 115w today and ran into problems when we got to enabling wireless.  A guest network set up in a separate zone worked fine, but trying to set up another network that will share the main LAN appears to be impossible.  Choosing "bridge with AP LAN" results in being unable to check the box to assign the network to the access point.

Called support and their less-than-impressive response was "umm I don't think it should do that but I don't really know and let me escalate this and someone will reach out in a few hours" but of course no one has.

Anyone know if there is a bug that prevents this from working the way it's supposed to on these new integrated boxes?

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Since the internal APs have only a single radio, there will be no fix for dual-band for them.  The fix for adding dual-band capability for other APs on the same SSIDs is promised for 9.315.

The reason the title still says [SOLVED] is because the original issue is resolved in my post above, Workaround: How to bridge Internal and 1x5w wireless.

I agree that Sophos has had some challenges.  Part of the problems with wireless has been because of untrained support staff at Sophos.  The person has been replaced that "misunderestimated" (I love that Bushism! [:D]) the difficulty of providing support for the UTM as opposed to Sophos' earlier products.  Beginning in late 2013, Sophos began driving off many of the Astaro-trained support staff, but that was reversed early this year after Mike Anderson was hired.  Support for Solution Partners' SCA-submitted cases will soon be first class, and problems like those experienced here should not re-appear.

As for the developers of V8 and V9 and the issues with the drivers and firmware for the APs, the discovery in under 7 months last year of Heartbleed, Shellshock and POODLE was an insurmountable obstacle.  Other security vendors handled it better, but many did worse.  Early this year, some of the top developers of V10 were re-deployed to make the current versions more reliable.  We saw things getting better in 9.310, and 9.313 is as good as 9.105 which was before the major disruptions cited above.

Before learning about the changes earlier this year, I too was ready to throw in the towel on the UTM.  After investing over ten years in the product, that would have been very difficult, so I was slow to make that decision.  I don't think Sophos can expect the same from others though, so I expect them to lose some excellent partners altogether, not just their WiFi business.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob,

No time to even go into the fact the Sophos broke the Internal AP in SG1x5w products from even functioning in the 9.5 firmware update in Bridge to AP LAN mode since the they have since fixed it. (It did take 5 weeks #fail)

I am reviving this thread to ask 1 question that I can't find and answer to anywhere:

Does the Rev 2. Hardware for SG1x5w and XG 1x5w have two radios now? Or are these products still be deceptively marketed as 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz when in reality it's still 1 or the other?

Best Regards - HTG
    Frustrated Sophos Partner seeing all the things
    that brought me to Sophos slowly slip away.
    RIP astaro.org

• Honestly why does sophos break *** every other release?  So frustrating.

I stupidly deployed a 105w on 9.503 and of course the integrated wifi is blown to **** again.  Can't see the ssids at all.

Is there any workaround or are we going to have to deploy an AP again?  Such a waste of hardware for smaller sites.

• htguru said:

...since the they have since fixed it. (It did take 5 weeks #fail)

What fix? I am running 9.505-4 and the wifi still fails almost every day. Because that I am running an AP50 beneath the UTM.

cu,

Dino

Reply Children