This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Reflashing AP30 with Engenius Firmware

Hi there,

half a year ago i've bought an AP30 for my Astaro Home Licence. I'll no longer use my astaro in future. It is possible to flash AP30 with Engenius EAP9550 firmware to use it with an normal router ?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Benzin,

I don't know if you can. The specific case design used by Sophos for the AP30 corresponds to close to six different models of AP Engenius offers. Engenius may also be OEMing the AP30's in which case these may be custom units, not rebranded.

[EDIT: EnGenius is a subsidary of Senao Networks Inc., which would be the OEM for the EAP series.
  • Im running into the issue that im not able to get connection to webinterface of AP30. Astaro is offering a flashtool for bricked devices via direkt networkconnection (but only with Astaro firmware) otherwise im not able to get new firmware to the AP30 without reachable webinterface [:(]

anyone ideas ?

The AP30 was not cheap....
  • The AP30 does not have a separate web interface as it's designed to be managed through a UTM device. Only way I can think of to reflash it, if you know exactly what Engenius firmware goes into it, is either an Engenius/Senao tool or through the JTAG connection (if it's exposed on the board)
  • Hi, you could probably sell it for over $100, and then buy a similar consumer AP for under $100 (e.g. the Engenius, or Trendnet also seems to be selling one based on the same OEM hardware & design).

If not, maybe Engenius support can help you re-flash it.

Barry
  • If you figure out how, let me know. I have some EAP9550's that I flashed with the AP30 firmware, I emailed Engenius and they won't supply me with a firmware that I can flash via TFTP to restore the device.

Speaking of, this is why I want to: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72765417/Screenshot_2013-05-31-21-59-30.png

SSID ASUS is a RT-12N AP that cost me $40, and the SSID KIESER is a Sophos AP50. They're sitting right next to each other!
  • I have similar problems with an AP30, I have a several year old Apple Airport and an old WRT54G and both of them produce more signal than my AP30.

At first I suspected it could be the noise in the environment but I've since moved, and am continuing to see the same problems with the AP30 and the same improvement when I switch to my Airport, which is now my primary wifi AP.
  • Hi, what UTM version are you running? I had some signal strength problems with my AP30 in 9.0x, but the recent firmware (9.006, iirc) improved things quite a bit.

Barry
  • Hi,
    we tried it with a trendnet (TEW-653AP). We spend a lot of time to import the AP30 firmware on the Trendnet AP,  sadly without success.
    The boot of the AP is the same as an AP30. The Update Tool from Astaro and the Firmware it wasn't possible to flash it, because the trendnet want to connect to another IP.
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/60/t/56270

It is possible to connect to the onboard pins, with the right configuration and with the right electric resistance, we got an boot output, we saw the interesting boot informations. We had the possibility to press an option to import the AP30 firmware, but we couldn't send keyboard commands... [:(]
    https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=28115
    At this point we are now, and unfortunately, we have no idea, how we can go on.

Nice greetings

--> Of course, only for privat use!
  • If you figure out how, let me know. I have some EAP9550's that I flashed with the AP30 firmware, I emailed Engenius and they won't supply me with a firmware that I can flash via TFTP to restore the device.

Speaking of, this is why I want to: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72765417/Screenshot_2013-05-31-21-59-30.png

SSID ASUS is a RT-12N AP that cost me $40, and the SSID KIESER is a Sophos AP50. They're sitting right next to each other!

How did you flash the EAP9550 to an AP30?
  • Probably used the 9550's firmware update page on their web interface. The unit most likely didn't do a sanity check before uploading the firmware.

Currently it is not possible to reflash a 9550 to an AP30. You can try but you'll end up with a $150 brick. My suspicion is that Senao/Engenius is OEMing these for Sophos and there are sufficient differences between the AP30 and a 9550 (or whichever model is equivalent) that make these incompatible.