This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Recommended WiFi Card for Software Appliance?

There doesn't appear to be any threads that address recommended WiFi cards for a UTM Software Appliance 
(this was the closest I found and it was for a HA).

• Does the UTM SA contain drivers for a wide array of cards, only specific ones, none at all, etc.?
    • Since I'm running UTM within an ESXi VM, is this more applicable to ESXi and not Sophos?
      (i.e would the WiFi card simply be passed to UTM as a VMXNET3 interface)

Are there any considerations I should have prior to exposing my UTM to WiFi?

• I've always been hesitant to expose UTM to WiFi, but due to my network environment, and the inability to get a vLAN properly configured between OpenWrt running on a smart switch and the UTM, this seems to be a more practical solution.

• There will only be two devices running off the UTM WiFi, each on their own vLAN, with all other WiFi devices running off OpenWrt's WiFi networks. 
    • These two wireless devices will be firewalled from all other networks, including LAN, with the WiFi vLANs soley providing internet access to these two specific devices.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply
  •  Thanks a bunch! =] The thread was insightful 

SilverStone DS380 | AsRock C2750D4I | Alienware 18 In Win Chopin | SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F
    2.4gHz 8C C2750 ; 32GB ECC | 2.5gHz 4C i7 4710MQ ; 32GB 2.4gHz 8C C2758 ; 32GB ECC
    Vantec 4C USB3 PCIe UGT-PCE430-4C | 8GB AMD SLI R9 M290x |
    SSD  | 850 EVO: 120GB | 1TB ; mSATA: 1TB (2) | 850 Pro: 128GB ; 850 EVO: 1TB
    HDD | Seagate: { ST4000VN000 (8) } Z2 ; { HGST HTS721010A (3) } Z2 |
    FreeNAS 11.2 | { PNY Turbo USB3 32GB (2) } Mirror | Win 10 Pro | ESXi 6.7: Sophos UTM 9.6

Various Wikis, Scripts, & Configs | Prebuilt OpenSSL Config

Children
No Data