This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Managing Time-Based-Access Wireless connection in Enterprise Network

Hello Sophos Heroes :),

i am having a Project using 30 AP100c and UTM SG310/V9.510 as a Wireless Controller in a School with more than 2000 thousand Student.

Two Scenarios are going to be used:

-Free Wifi in Free Space rooms

-Internet access on the same subnet(as FreeWifi) using  another SSID for Classrooms.

In the Free Space, students/teachers will get access for all the year from 8 Am to 5 PM.

In the Classrooms

1- I need to grant long-term access for teachers

2- I need a manageable access for 2000 students in 20 person-group, with changeable classrooms and access time.

I thought first, i may use Voucher but it can't be  managed with 2000 users with different, not repeatable pre-defined access-time. It should be an easy-to-use/easy-to-manage solution for dynamically changing Place/Time.

Example:

Group A (or students 1, 2 &4) is allowed  on this Thursday (and not on the next Thursday) to have internet access from 10 Am to 11 AM in Classroom GH3. Group B is allowed to have WiFi-access tomorrow from 13 PM to 15 PM in Classroom GT2.

I thought of using Freeradius/ldap/AD, but how I am going to easily control changeable access-Time/access-place?

pre-defined Time/ place won't suite to this solution.

any ideas? 

thank you.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Ibrahim and welcome to the UTM Community!

Honestly, the situation you're trying to describe is so complicated that I can't "see" it.

How many different groups?  Are some students in multiple groups? How many different times are there?  How many different classrooms?  What is the number of different combinations of all those things - thousands?

I think I see how this could be done, but it just doesn't seem practical to me.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob, 

there are 40 Classrooms

30 groups, Students are not in multiple groups.

4-8 different times/blocks

it is better i don't write down the possible combination of all that together :)

thanks

• That's potentially almost ten thousand combinations, Ibrahim - definitely not a practical solution.  What are the reasons to have imagined such a complex solution?  Most schools separate teachers and students and have different rules for students when there are no classes compared to during class time.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • That's potentially almost ten thousand combinations, Ibrahim - definitely not a practical solution.  What are the reasons to have imagined such a complex solution?  Most schools separate teachers and students and have different rules for students when there are no classes compared to during class time.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • they want the most flexible possible solution :)

you may give me your ideas, also if they won't match exactly what i am searching for.

Personly, i don't think this complex szenario is practical.

• I guarantee that the solution would require a full-time person just to keep up with changes and corrections.  A new school year would require months of preparation.  Instead of telling you what solution they want, why don't they tell you their goals?  Right now, they think their solution is the definition of what they want to accomplish - it's not.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA