This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I configure SG105W with both 2.4 and 5g networks?

I'm new to the Sophos world and have installed the SG105W in two locations. I noticed that none of my devices were connecting to the 5g radio. Looking at the config, my wireless network is set up to use both 2.4 and 5. If I go to Wireless Protection/Access points/Edit under Advanced I can choose one or the other and that's the only time that I can get the 5G radio to be active. I want to have both active and use one SSID so they can switch over on their own. Any suggestions on how to configure that?

Thanks,

Kent

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Kent and welcome to the UTM Community!

I believe that there's only a single radio in the SG 105w, so you can't have both frequencies at the same time.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • We were going down the Sophos route with wireless AP's but we found that they were a little expensive for what they offered and we probably would have overloaded our SG330 with all the other stuff going on.

In the end, we went the Ubiquiti route (UAP Pro's) and haven't looked back. The equivalent in the Sophos was twice as expensive. Mind you, it was solidly made and you wouldn't want it falling off the ceiling on you!!

• Bob, thanks for the reply on my question. That would certainly explain why I couldn't choose both frequencies.

I guess that I'm surprised that there is only one radio since everything these days has multiple radios in it and the settings indicate that I can choose multiple frequencies.

I realized that the radio is built into the SG105W, but is there an easy way to add additional AP radios?  I saw the other post regarding the Ubiquiti. Are other brands compatible with the Sophos?

Thanks!

Kent

• No other brands work with Sophos Wireless Protection, Kent, and Sophos APs work with no other central-management tool.  For your purposes, an AP 15 would likely do what you want.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi All,

Look in the help section of the UTM's Wireless Protection > Access Point > Types of Access Points. It has all the specific details about the band and radio supported by different Sophos hardware.

• Dual Band support means the provided Antenna with the hardware is capable of communicating on either 2.5GHz or 5GHz frequency individually, but, supports both the bands. 
    • Dual Radio support means the hardware comes with two dual-band antenna which can support 2.5GHz and 5GHz band parellely.

Hope that helps.

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.