This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[HOWTO] Let's Encrypt

Hi all,

I have got a fully working Let's Encrypt setup for multiple domains of my Web Application Firewall on my Sophos UTM 9.4!

On github I have made a manual on how to set it up on your UTM as well. Currently it has a few manual steps to set it up, but I might script this in the future as well.

https://github.com/rklomp/sophos-utm-letsencrypt

Comments, questions and improvements are welcome! And please leave a message if you have got it working as well.

Have fun!

René
[Donate]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Excellent. Works perfect here for me. -Your turn, sophos! -, to fill your customers needs.

sent some pizza money donation, thanks again for this! 

---

Sophos UTM 9.3 Certified Engineer

• Great work, thank you René.

Creating the initial certificate works perfectly. However, if I run ./getssl -f domain.com for the second time a few days later, only the meta data in UTM’s Certificate Management is updated (valid from/to) but not the actual certificate.

Looking in ~/.getssl/domain.com there are two certificates:
    domain.com.crt
    domain.com.crt_<date>

UTM shows the meta data of the former while actually using the later.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Andrey

• Hi Andrey,

Did you get any errors? Are you able to reproduce the issue or was it a one time problem?

Regards,

René

• Hi René

Yes, this happens every time with different domains/certificates.
    - created a dummy-certificate through UTM webadmin
    - followed all steps in your tutorial

On the first run, ./getssl -f domain.com overwrites the dummy certificate and it’s meta data. If I run it again (without changing anything in ~/.getssl/domain.com/getssl.cfg), I can see the updated meta data in UTM webadmin but clicking the „Download“ button downloads the old (initially obtained) certificate. 

I don’t get any errors, only this warning:
    Writing certificate for <domain.com> to object REF_ZlQRlENKlJYD
    getssl: <domain.com> - certificate obtained but certificate on server is different from the new certificate

• Does the file /root/.getssl/domain.com/domain.com.crt and the output of

/usr/bin/openssl x509 -in /root/.getssl/domain.com/domain.com.crt -text

show the correct certificate?

• Yes, both show the correct new certificate, while the certificate downloaded from and used by UTM WAF is still the old one (it matches root/.getssl/domain.com/domain.com.crt_<old_date>)

• If you add 

print cert_object

on line 45 of the update-cert script and then run

./update-cert domain.com REF_ZlQRlENKlJYD

If you scroll up a bit it should output "Changes to object saved successfully." followed by the full certificate object containing the new certificate. Or do you see any errors in this output? Or send me a PM containing the output, so I can take a look for you.

• Thanks a million, René. With your help I now found the reason:
    When I was creating my dummy certificates in webadmin I used the default VPN ID type „Email address“ assuming that it does not matter because the certificate will be overwritten anyway.

In this case adding „print cert_object“ to update-cert script shows the following output:
    'format' => 'The VPN ID needs to be %_d.',
    'msgtype' => 'IPSEC_VPN_ID_INVALID',
    'name' => 'The VPN ID needs to be an Email address.',

Using the VPN ID type „Hostname“ solves the problem and the certificate will be updated as expected.

However, this time WAF > Virtual Servers will not let me chose any of the certificate’s additional domains (SANS=). While the certificate is valid for 3 domains, WAF will only let me chose the primary one.

My workaround is now the following:
    - Create a dummy certificate in webadmin, VPN ID = Hostname
    - Run getssl according to your tutorial
    - export the certificate through webadmin as .p12 > then delete it from webadmin > then re-import the .p12 file
    - Now the certificate will have a new reference number (REF_xxx) so ~/.getssl/domain.com/getssl.cfg needs to be adopted.

• Good to hear that it now works. Just added that you should use type "Hostname" to the tutorial as well.

For the subdomains in SANS this should work instantly as far as I know, the webadmin uses the metadata to create the list of domains. This metadata is updated using the script, so webadmin should have the list as well. 

• @klompie - Thanks for this!  I have a quick question, though.  If I already have installed, manually, a certbot generated LetsEncrypt certificate, can I use this tool to maintain that certificate?  I know I would need to include it in the update-cert function, but what else would I need to do to make this work?