This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

LDAP groups with FreeIPA

Hi,
I've been able to connect my UTM 9.3 to FreeIPA 3.3.x for basic user/password authentication to the web portal and ssl client vpn.  However, I've been unable to get the UTM to use the user groups on FreeIPA to determine a user's access to an object.  I suspect the problem has to do with FreeIPA using nested groups.  I'm wondering if anyone has solved this, perhaps even using a version of Active Directory or other backend?  Thanks for any tips!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Create User Groups on the UTM, then add your backend authentication user accounts to those.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • You can create groups attached to the FreeIPA the trick is to get the right attributes:

It should go like this:

Group type: Backend Membership

check an LDAP Attribute

Attribute: memberOf
    Value: cn=usergroup,cn=groups,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=local
  • Never heard of your product.  Does it have market share among  potential paying customers for UTM?

Read my LDAP post in the WiKi.  To make LDAP work, you have to know your available attributes, your directory structure, and LDAP syntax.  The first comes from your LDAP vendor, the second from you, the third from the standards bidies or the web.  You need to use your problem as your learning opoortunity.

• Do you mean that you read everything in this post, and yet found nothing that provided insight to your LDAP implementation?

• I mean that you didn't provide any post, you just asked me if "my product" has "market share among potential paying customers for UTM".

• There ARE critical holes in the documentation, which I and others have tried to address as we have learned the product.   Everyone needs to read most everything in the wiki, to deploy the product securely, because of what is not in the manual. Additional resources are pinned to the top of most forum sections.   So keep reading

But at the dane time, show gratitude that home users have access to such a powerful priduct for free.

• Geiasou and welcome to the UTM Community!

You must [Save] a server definition first, and then you can [Test] it.  I recommend that you use a unique user for the 'Bind DN' so that changing the admin password doesn't create issues for the UTM configuration.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

I see you 've done some research (Geiasou) ;)
    Are you administrating this site?

Well I would appreciate some exact directions and screenshots, for me and for the future generations :p

F.i.: Server Definition you mean: Definitions and users/network definitions/new network definition.

Choose: type: host
                 DNS settings-->Hostname: sub.example.com

save

Then go to network definitions/authentication services/servers/new authentication server

Choose the network definition you created before and fill in the Bind DN like this "uid=admin,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=your_domain,dc=com"

Then it should work:

In my case I was previously trying to get it to work installing freeipa-server on Ubuntu 18 and this was a no go... I installed it on Fedora and it seems to be working.

However test does not work with 636 port and SSL activated. But I 'm happy for the moment and will dig deeper.

I 've no Idea how to set up users and groups in Sophos for LDAP but I just wanted to answer this one and will keep trying.

Cheers.

• In fact, I had friends in university from Greece, but, yeah, languages, dialects and accents are a hobby.

No, just a Moderator, not an Administrator.

Saving authentication server definitions before testing is another one of those tricks that isn't documented.  I hadn't noticed that the SSL option was added, but all of my clients use internal servers or connect to them via encrypted tunnels (RED/IPsec/SSL VPN).  You might try creating a new server definition instead of changing from 389 to SSL 636 in an existing definition - did that work?

See #6 in Rulz for guidance on when users should be synced from the authentication server to the UTM.  Configuring HTTP/S proxy access with AD SSO also applies to LDAP in most places.  I think Douglas has a thread somewhere that delves more deeply into LDAP.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

then I guess we have the same hobby...

So, I created a "sophos" group and a "sophosuser" in freeipa.

This user authenticates successfully under /authentication services/server/user authentication test

But when I try to log in to the firewall WebAdmin with this user I can't log in.

I have the feeling that I am missing something big here, so big that I can't see it :)

This is how ldap group in the firewall looks like:

Should I create another group in the firewall? If yes, then how would that look like? The already existing "local" users would they be double then?

Thanx

• So...

In the ldap group Attributes I inserted the following:
    cn=sophos,cn=groups,cn=accounts,dc=mydomain,dc=com

Note that "sophos" is the group created in the freeipa server.

Then In the firewall under management/Webadmin settings I chose the LDAP users to be able to login.

And it worked!

• So...

In the ldap group Attributes I inserted the following:
    cn=sophos,cn=groups,cn=accounts,dc=mydomain,dc=com

Note that "sophos" is the group created in the freeipa server.

Then In the firewall under management/Webadmin settings I chose the LDAP users to be able to login.

And it worked!

Children
No Data