This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How does HTML5 compare in vpn security compared to ipsec or SSL?

The user portal is such a convenient way to setup vpn's for client access, but I assume with convenience a security trade off may occur.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • When used with certificates, L2TP/IPsec is as secure as IPsec and the SSL VPN depending on how they're each configured.  Pure IPsec and SSL VPN can have the strongest security.  The HTML5 method should be at least as good as L2TP/IPsec using certificates.

The problem with HTML5 is that it's very resource intensive.  If you want to have more than a single, simultaneous user, you will want to use more powerful hardware.

In general, I like the SSL VPN method best.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Ok thank you.. bummer HTML5 VPN is freakin' slick. Why do they have all these cool features and say "Oh but don't use it"... Ha..

Reply Children
  • I like to use the HTML5 VPN for outside consultants that manage a single resource and don't need general network access.  They don't have to install anything and they don't get a copy of any of the client's certs.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • What I was thinking was giving 3 users remote desktop access when out of the office. I bet this wouldn't cause too much overhead.

• That depends on the hardware that UTM runs on.  In this case, I would prefer SSL VPN remote access with two-factor authentication over HTML5.  Let us know what you wind up doing.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA