This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Feature request: Time based Web Application Control

We would like to have web application control rules enabled for certain groups of devices during a specific time period. Time based control of such rules is not possible now, I can only enable or disable them manually.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Guido, you should check to see if this already has been suggested at http://feature.astaro.com.  If it has, vote for it and make a comment to boost the chance of it being considered by Sophos.

What is it that you're turning on and off?  Maybe we can create a cron job to do this for you.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello,

I checked and it was asked for a few years ago. But it seems that it is too hard to add this feature ;-)

Under Web protection --> Application control --> Application control rules I have created 2 'block and log' rules. I want to enable these rules at certain times on certain days and disable them on a later time.

Regards,

Guido

• From the command line as root, run: cc get afc rules

The REF_ objects will be presented in the same order as you see in WebAdmin, so say one of the ones we want is the third one called REF_AppRulFacebook that blocks Facebook.  We want to disable that between noon and 1PM, Monday through Friday.  With your preferred editor, add the following lines to /etc/crontab-static:

0 12 * * 1,2,3,4,5 root /usr/local/bin/confd-client.plx change_object REF_AppRulFacebook status 0
    0 13 * * 1,2,3,4,5 root /usr/local/bin/confd-client.plx change_object REF_AppRulFacebook status 1

Once you've saved /etc/crontab-static, go to the 'Configuration' tab in 'Up2Date' in WebAdmin and change 'Firmware Download Interval' to something different, [Apply], change it back and [Apply].  That caused the configuration daemon to add your new lines to /etc/crontab, so that Facebook blocking will be deactivated every workday between noon and 13:00.

It's a workaround that Support might want you to remove while they're working on anything related to your cron jobs.  Does that work for you?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob

Thanks for your post. I have followed the instructions and made the changes on the UTM but after making changes I cannot view the Application Control Live Logs.. Can you please suggest how to fix it.

• Try clearing your browser cache and/or using a different browser.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA