This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Blocking access time & site based?

Good morning,

I'm in the process of installing a new firewall...

Is it possible with the UTM to block internet access based on PC name (or mac address) in combination with certain hour interval & site?

VB: Portable-HP can't access Facebook between 10PM and 7AM?

KInd regards,

Karel.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • It is possible:

1. Create DNS host Network Definition object.
    2. Create new Time Event definition.
    2. Create new Web Profile, put the object in Allowed Networks, select Standard or Transparent and no authentication.
    3. In that Web Profile create new policy, don't put anything in Users/Groups field, choose your time definition and create new Filter Action.
    4. In new Filter Action, on Websites page add *.facebook.com in Blocked Web Sites section.
    5. Enable policy and web profile.

• Ok, this framework did the trick.  Here is what I ended up doing, which works for me.

First, in the web filter profiles, I created a new profile to control access for my kids

Then, I edited the profile in the following way: 1) put the hosts into the "Allowed Networks" area.  2) gave the profile a name.

I then created a policy in the profile.  Here I will assign the time period to which this will take effect.  I tested it by putting the profile to "Always" (Yeah, there is a place to test the profile as well), I switched the "BedTime" profile afterward.

Policy entered here:

That is all there is to it. Until my kids figure out how to change their IP address, this should work for me.

• This is a great way to configure a time budget for web content categories that ought to have a time contingent. If within a certain time period several URLs are requested the time-based access control works fine. But if only one URL is requested at the beginning of a certain time period e.g. on a gaming page with a flash game, the time-based access control gets no further trigger, like an URL request. In this case the access control takes no effect. Does anybody know another trick to solve that?

• Hi Manfred and welcome to the UTM Community!

Check out #9 in Rulz.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks Bob for this valuable hint!
    Sheldon's trick does not seem to be that easy. Maybe I will come back to ask for further support.
    -Manfred

Reply Children
No Data