This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Here's how to Block Windows 10 "Spying"

I have gathered from different sources the sites that Windows 10 use to send informations collected from your computer.

You just need to go into: Web Protection -> Web Filtering -> Policies -> Default content filter action

Under Websites -> Block Theses Websites Import this list :

vortex.data.microsoft.com
vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
choice.microsoft.com
choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
df.telemetry.microsoft.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
telemetry.appex.bing.net
telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
survey.watson.microsoft.com
watson.live.com
watson.microsoft.com
statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
compatexchange.cloudapp.net
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
a-0001.a-msedge.net
statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
corp.sts.microsoft.com
statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
pre.footprintpredict.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
feedback.windows.com
feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
feedback.search.microsoft.com
rad.msn.com
preview.msn.com
ad.doubleclick.net
ads.msn.com
ads1.msads.net
ads1.msn.com
a.ads1.msn.com
a.ads2.msn.com
adnexus.net
adnxs.com
aidps.atdmt.com
apps.skype.com
az361816.vo.msecnd.net
az512334.vo.msecnd.net
a.rad.msn.com
a.ads2.msads.net
ac3.msn.com
aka-cdn-ns.adtech.de
b.rad.msn.com
b.ads2.msads.net
b.ads1.msn.com
bs.serving-sys.com
c.msn.com
cdn.atdmt.com
cds26.ams9.msecn.net
c.atdmt.com
db3aqu.atdmt.com
ec.atdmt.com
flex.msn.com
g.msn.com
h1.msn.com
live.rads.msn.com
msntest.serving-sys.com
m.adnxs.com
m.hotmail.com
pricelist.skype.com
rad.live.com
secure.flashtalking.com
static.2mdn.net
s.gateway.messenger.live.com
secure.adnxs.com
sO.2mdn.net
ui.skype.com
www.msftncsi.com
msftncsi.com
view.atdmt.com
msnbot-65-55-108-23.search.msn.com
settings-win.data.microsoft.com
schemas.microsoft.akadns.net 
a-0001.a-msedge.net
a-0002.a-msedge.net
a-0003.a-msedge.net
a-0004.a-msedge.net
a-0005.a-msedge.net
a-0006.a-msedge.net
a-0007.a-msedge.net
a-0008.a-msedge.net
a-0009.a-msedge.net
msedge.net
a-msedge.net
lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
pre.footprintpredict.com
vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net

Cheers ! [:D]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Is there a reason why this is added to the Web Filtering section, and not in the Network Protection>Firewall?

Though I have been a long time user of Astaro, I do not know the ins-and-outs of how each portion of the software works with each other. However, I would think that adding something in the Web Filtering portion of the UTM would only block HTTP traffic to those URLs, which means that other traffic could still goto those sites. Am I correct in that assumption, or does adding URLs in Web Filter do the same job as adding them manually in the Firewall and effectively block all traffic to those sites?
  • Is there a reason why this is added to the Web Filtering section, and not in the Network Protection>Firewall?

Though I have been a long time user of Astaro, I do not know the ins-and-outs of how each portion of the software works with each other. However, I would think that adding something in the Web Filtering portion of the UTM would only block HTTP traffic to those URLs, which means that other traffic could still goto those sites. Am I correct in that assumption, or does adding URLs in Web Filter do the same job as adding them manually in the Firewall and effectively block all traffic to those sites?
Children

Bob's Rule #2:

In general, a packet arriving at an interface is handled only by one of the following, in order: the connection tracker (conntrack) first, then Country Blocking, then DNATs, then VPNs, then Proxies, then manual Routes and manual Firewall rules, which are considered only if the automatic Routes and rules coming before hadn't already handled the traffic and, finally, Applications Control. 

Link - https://www.astaro.org/gateway-products/general-discussion/49065-rulz.html
  • Bob's Rule #2:
    Link - https://www.astaro.org/gateway-products/general-discussion/49065-rulz.html

Ok, so the Web Filtering rules are checked before the Firewall. As I understand it though, Web Filtering only acts upon outgoing (incoming?) connections over the standard HTTP ports (80,8080) and protocol (HTTPS if enabled as well). Is this correct or does Astaro work differently?

As I said, I don't know the ins-an-outs of Astaro, and just want to make sure that Web Filtering would do the same of blocking all, as Firewall would. Yes, it's much more simpler adding a large list via Web Filtering, but if it only blocks specific traffic over specific ports (and there is no mention anywhere yet of what kind of traffic or ports are used for W10 communications that I have seen as of yet), then adding everything via Firewall would be the best, though more involved option, no?
  • ....then adding everything via Firewall would be the best, though more involved option, no?

No, because Firewall module handles only IP adresses, not URLs.
  • No, because Firewall module handles only IP adresses, not URLs.

Now you've lost me.[:S]

I can add in a FQDN via Network Definitions, or even directly when making the Firewall rule, and Astaro will resolve the ip address(es) and use them in the rule. I actually have some rules in place in various parts of the UTM, including the Firewall, using just the FQDN, and yes, they do work. 

And I still haven't gotten an answer about the Web Filtering. As I understand it in this post:
    https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/115865.aspx

Only port 80 web traffic can be silently intercepted and filtered....

Is that, or is that not how Web Filtering works? How can it effectively block all traffic to and from the FQDN if it's only blocking port 80? Again, I have found nothing in numerous posts as to what ports W10 is using for it's communication with the various servers. [:S]
  • .How can it effectively block all traffic to and from the FQDN if it's only blocking port 80? Again, I have found nothing in numerous posts as to what ports W10 is using for it's communication with the various servers. [:S]

Define no Firewall rules (for Win10 blocked sites), and create Web Filtering Policy like mentioned in previous posts.

TCP ports 80 and 443 will be intercepted and filtered, all other blocked.
  • If anyone is interested, this article is interesting and the tool described is pretty nice.

Windows 10 spyware | Rock, Paper, Shotgun