This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

how do I block the AdChoice Yahoo ads?

How do I setup the block expression for these items:?

Yahoo!

https://a248.e.akamai.net/

https://secure.img-cdn.mediaplex.com

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • At least some of those are in the Web Ads category.  If you are blocking that category there is no need for them to be in the blacklist.

Some of the things will potentially break things if you block.  For example, yimg.com is Yahoo Images, a domain that they use to store any type of graphic or image, both ads and not.

At a spot check of a few, the regex is correct.  You do have a bunch of duplicates.

Given that you are putting in blocks for things that are already categorized as Web Ads, I'm wondering if you have done the first step of blocking advertising - setting the "Suspicious" category group to Block.

Sophos is primarily a security company, not a ad-blocking company.  We partner with McAfee for categorization of advertising sites.  Problems with that categorization should go to trustedsource.org.
  • At least some of those are in the Web Ads category.  If you are blocking that category there is no need for them to be in the blacklist.

Some of the things will potentially break things if you block.  For example, yimg.com is Yahoo Images, a domain that they use to store any type of graphic or image, both ads and not.

At a spot check of a few, the regex is correct.  You do have a bunch of duplicates.

Given that you are putting in blocks for things that are already categorized as Web Ads, I'm wondering if you have done the first step of blocking advertising - setting the "Suspicious" category group to Block.

Sophos is primarily a security company, not a ad-blocking company.  We partner with McAfee for categorization of advertising sites.  Problems with that categorization should go to trustedsource.org.
Children

• yimg.com is Yahoo Images

Hell at this point I don't mind blocking all Yahoo Images.

Oh, I know that Sophos is a primarily security company and I fully respect that.  
    I was just checking if my definitions were correct since stuff was getting through.  So I didn't want to create pages of block lists that were actually invalid.

One More question:
    I am currently blocking  Remove embedded objects (ActiveX/Java/Flash) in Active Content (the box is checked) however Flash gets through.  I presume it's because they are sending it via HTTPS?