This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Excessive usage to Akamai IPS

Periodically, I'm getting massive traffic from two akamai servers. Rebooting the Astaro stops the traffic.

a210-15-241-7.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
a210-15-241-16.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com

The destination of the traffic is the WAN interface of my Astaro, according to Accounting. There is no internal destination logged. The traffic from these two hosts is not accounted for in the HTTP proxy reporting either. 

I have tried blocking these hosts in the packet filter and proxy with no effect. My internal WSUS server shows no synchs at the time of the traffic and I have even disabled it.

Does the Astaro use Akamai for any updates? 

I have 'poisoned' the Astaro's DNS for these hostnames in attempt to stop this happening again. I have so far had no response from Astaro support.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Your problem is most likely with Adobe updates, please make sure there is an exception for ardownload.adobe.com and adobe.com in the exceptions tab under Web Security > HTTP- and make sure the exception is enabled.

Adobe uses Akamai for content delivery and the Adobe download manager is notorious for abandoning downloads and restarting them, which can cause the proxy to overwhelm available bandwidth.

Jack
  • Doesn't seem to make any difference unfortunately. I'm not seeing any of this excess traffic accounted for in the proxy reporting either.

I'm rapidly losing the plot over what is causing this. There is NO internal destination for the traffic and no accounting for it in the proxy. I have blocked ALL traffic to the Class C subnet that the Akamai servers are on and blocked them in the proxy and STILL I'm flooded with inbound traffic from these hosts, and no bounces off the packet filter. Rebooting the Astaro stopped it happening for an hour or so before it started up again.

**news flash**

Just turned the HTTP proxy off and the problem stopped. Definitely seems to be proxy related and concurs with your adobe theory. Why the hell is all this traffic unnaccounted for in the proxy reporting?
  • Upon examination of the proxy content logs it does appear to be the Adobe updater on a couple of machines retrying over and over again a download of Acrobat Reader.

Thanks for the advice Jack.
  • This one can be tricky, as the requests are automatically redirected from Adobe to an Akamai distribution server, and there are thousands of them throughout the world.  The adobe.com exception should work, but it can take a while for existing connections to die.

The root problem is that the client requests an update file, the proxy intercepts the request to download and inspect the file per content filter rules, the client gets "impatient" and drops then restarts the connection.  It leaves the proxy completing the download for each request, but the client keeps dropping the requests- thus showing little or no proxy>client traffic, but causing a large volume of Akamai>Astaro traffic.

Note this can also occur with Microsoft and Apple upodates, and there are exceptions for them in the Astaro by default.