This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

PDF Files

I did a search, but this has never been asked or I just was not specific enough.  Excuse me if it has been answered before.

ASG 6.312
HTTP Standard Mode

Windows XP
IE7
Acrobat Reader 8.1.2

When clicking on a link to a PDF file, instead of displaying it in IE using the Acrobat plugin, it prompts the user to DL the file.  Not all sites do this, and if you right-click on the icon and choose "Open Link" it will display in IE using the AR plugin.

This does not happen when accessing the site without using the proxy.

Is this an issue with the HTTP Proxy setup, the IE setup, the AR setup, or what?  A link that I know this happens with is:
 http://www.tea.state.tx.us/curriculum/TEKSELARFNL031908.pdf 

Thanks,

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Do you have the HTTP content filter and/or AntiVirus enabled?

Barry
  • BarryG - 

Until you asked that, I had never even considered running the HTTP proxy without having the content filter on.  I guess people could do that just for the cache, yes?

Anyway, I turned off the content filter, but left the proxy enabled, and the file displays properly.  So, the content filtering is causing it?  Virus Protection for Web is not active.  Turning off the content filter is _not_ an option, so what now?
  • Hi,
    I found I had too many issues with IE what ever version and now rely on firefox except for MS sites. I have the same issues at work and we don't have a firewall per se.
    I tried your site and it downloaded and opened correctly in firefox.

My http proxy is configured in standard mode with all options enabled, dual scan, caching.

Ian M
  • Hello,

I'm not going to be rolling out Firefox to all our desktops any time soon.

While I appreciate the fact that you took the time to reply, I was looking for help with my current configuration, not a suggestion that I ditch IE because it has "Issues".  In this case, the "issue" only shows up when using the content filter.
  • Ian, were you trying on FireFox with ASL6 or 7?

Robert is using 6.3

Barry
  • It's depends on the size of the pdf file. If the size is above 1 MB it prompts the user to DL the file else not.
  • BarryG,
    I started using firefox seriously after v7.*** was released, but I had been having trouble with IE before that.

We have the same issue where I work, the SOE is IE, but every so often we have to provide firefox because IE is not reliable enough for some of our users. Works uses Cisco IOS. We would move away from IE except one application only works in IE.

Ian M
  • It's depends on the size of the pdf file. If the size is above 1 MB it prompts the user to DL the file else not.

Is this something that is configureable?

If this is the case, why does it only affect IE?  RFCat_vk has stated that it works properly in FireFox.
  • I don't remember if this feature is in v.6, but in the Astaro v.7 software, selected domains and/or users (or groups) can be added to the exception list in the web proxy and bypass part, or all, of the content filtering.
  • Is this something that is configureable?

If this is the case, why does it only affect IE?  RFCat_vk has stated that it works properly in FireFox.

No, it is not configurable. And sorry, it's depends also on the User-Agent of the browser.