This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

web portal

I am a new user, so maybe I have this wrong: 

I have a Windows environment and basically 2 types of users. One: The computer is part of my Active Directory domain, and so if the user that logs on. Two: The system is not part of the domain (so that would be a client/guest system). 

I cant use Standard, UserAuth because I cant set the proxy settings in browsers of users. This creates other issues, so this is a no-no.

Okay, what I was looking to accomplish is that is a user-logged on is part of Active Directory, then his credentials automatically get used to check against the list of users/profile and grant him access accordingly.

Now, if a guest is visiting, then this option is not going to work. So, the ASL would first check against Active Directory, and failing that, it would prompt the user via web. Its mostly like a Captive portal that is quite useful in Wireless deployments, where the first time the user connects via a browser, he is redirected to authenticate himself. 

REMEMBER: I cant use Standard, UserAuth, or put another way, I cant change user browser settings.

Is this possible? The captive web portal concept is huge, and this guarantees that everyone authenticates, no matter what browser they use.

Thanks, T.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Why can't you change proxy settings on clients browsers?

I use auto-config scripts.
  • there are couple of reasons: 1. many of our ASP apps run on non-standard port like 50000, 8080 among others. 
    2. the clients/vendors that sometimes visit dont know what to do, and many times their systems are locked down, they cant even change IE settings (which is done via their company's Group Policy).

So using a captive web portal solves all such cases, where the first time the user tries to go to any site, he is prompted to authentication, (not via the HTTP-Auth) but through a web-interface. 

Take a look here ...
    http://wiki.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/PortalSoftware

Any takers?
  • That might work with a tricky configuration.
    First look here. 

Then set the Proxy to authentication mode.

That only works for normal HTTP-Traffic. It does not work for FTP (because it uses dynamic ports) and it does not work for HTTPS (because it's encrypted). But it should work for HTTP. Also for HTTP on uncommon ports. Just expand the DNAT to the needed ports.

I didn't test exactly that configuration. So maybe it does not work, but it should.

Xeno