This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM web 'error templates' appear 'corrupted' when using Linux Firefox (ESR versions)

Hi Folks

This isn't in any sense a critical issue (I am merely a home user) but it is a mildly curious one, so I was wondering whether anybody had any ideas on what's maybe causing it (or perhaps even whether I can resolve it)? I'm currently using UTM 9.601-5, but I observed this same behaviour when using 9.510-5 (I didn't mention it back then as I was waiting to see if 9.601-5 'fixed' it via updating the templates):

I have several 'PCs' (iPad, Linux boxes and even Windows) and on most of these machines, the UTM's 'web error' templates look (and work) just fine. That said, my Debian Linux laptop has Firefox 60.6.1 ESR and when I am 'returned' an HTML error page from UTM, the layout appears to be somewhat 'misinterpreted' by Linux ESR Firefox; see the below screen-scrape:

Obviously, that's nothing more than a minor aesthetic anomaly, but when I try to access a site which has a certificate problem, the 'Add exception for this URL' link (whereby one can add it to the 'Skip certificate checks [Exception created by HTTP Proxy]' web filter sub-category) does not function; clicking on the below shown URL is just like clicking on a section of plain text. That is slightly more tedious as I have to then access the UTM web interface and manually enter the site into the above mentioned web filter list (not a very frequent event, so it doesn't at all bother me).

When I try the same thing with Firefox on a Windows machine, it all looks (and works) just as expected, so as a test, I've just tried installing Firefox ESR 52.9.0 on a minimalist Raspberry Pi build and once again, the page appears to be getting somewhat 'misinterpreted' (and unlike with my Debian laptop, the Raspberry Pi installation of Firefox ESR does not have a whole bunch of funky about:config tweaks, so to me, it now looks like this could be down to a Linux+Firefox ESR template compatibility issue, as opposed to anything that I have 'tweaked' within Firefox).

Being a home user, I have no access to the UTM's 'Management' -> 'Customisation' area in the UTM interface, and thus even if revised templates are available, I suspect that I would not be able to apply them (without reverting to nefarious CLI activities) so I was mostly just wondering if this is a known issue, or whether it might be something specific to my own UTM installation?

Kind regards,

Briain (GM8PKL)

PS I have UTM installed on a J1900 based fan-less PC (been using it for just under 3 years). I'm using it in the 'router-on-a-stick' network architecture, so it's doing the NAT and configured in transparent mode, but I am also using a wpad script (served from UTM) to auto-configure devices such that all browser traffic is pointed to the proxy, thus the example showing 'https://bbc.co.uk:2222' (just a random port that I picked) as being disallowed, rather than the browser just timing out.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.