This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bypass AdBlock Removal Popup on certain websites?

We are filtering WebAds via our UTM and have now the problem, that some useful websites show a website-overlay telling me that I should turn off my adblocker to view the site.

Is there a way to do this, for example allowing doubleclick.net for the website www.spiegel.de (that's the one that doesn't work at the moment...)? I don't want to allow doubleclick.net globally.

Thanks in advance

Marco

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I'm not sure if it'll work, but you can try to add www.spiegel.de to Web protection -> Filtering Options -> Websites and manually configure another category. However I kinda think that the doubleclick link inside this website will still be seen as an ad, but it's worth a try....

If above doesn't work, you can try to add an exception under Web protection -> Filtering Options -> Exceptions for www.spiegel.de and exclude URL filter.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Unfortunately this doesn't work, I tried both suggested methods. I presume the reason is that doubleclick.net is farther being scanned and blocked because I only have an exception for www.spiegel.de and not for doubleclick.net... :-(

But if I create an exception for doubleclick.net it will always be let through (yeah, that works) but that's not whats's intended.

Doesn't have anybody else these problems? Any more suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• You are right.   UTM scans each component URL individually, because each component is acquired individually.   This is the necessary way to do things.   I once had a user navigate to a church website because she was planning to attend a funeral.   The website was infected.  Fortunately UTM threw an APT alarm, and blocked the traffic, when the website tried to send her to a botnet command-and-control site in the Ukraine.  (APT should always be set to BLOCK)   Trusting a primary URL does not mean that every embedded URL can be trusted.

To get your desired result, UTM would have to allow exceptions based on the combination of Referrer and URL.  I wonder if any webfilter product does that.

I think your are stuck either allowing doubleclick.net for all users, allowing all ads for selected users, or living with the restrictions created by the website's need for revenue.

• What do you learn from the following?

grep doubleclick /var/log/http.log | grep spiegel

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • What do you learn from the following?

grep doubleclick /var/log/http.log | grep spiegel

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator