This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

windowsupdate.com is "uncategorized" ?? (amongst others .. )

I dont understand how behemoths of the Internet are tagged as "uncategorized".

I either horked something up or I am missing something obvious.

Thoughts?

John

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • There is a known issue between Sophos and McAfee which causes an unexpectedly high number of uncategorized sites.   It is basically McAfee's fault, but Sophos customers get the brunt of the problem.   The relationship problems are resolved, and Sophos is building the code needed to use McAfee's new API.   Based on hints that I have been given, I expect it this year.   I know that Sophos development is under a lot of pressure to ensure that future releases are fully acceptable, so quality control may be slowing down their release cycle, but quality is what we need.

• Is there an option to do manual categories?

• Yes, of course:

Web Protection...   Filtering Options... Websites (tab)... ADD

You can specify the hostname only (server1.example.com), or specify a domain name (example.com) and check the box to include subdomains.  Pick whichever is most appropriate for your situation.

Within a website override, you can specify a category override, reputation override, or a tag.   The quick-and-dirty solution for your immediate problem is to provide a category override, but I have fallen in love with tags.   

NOTE:   I NEVER override an unfavorable website reputation.   Instead, I contact the site owner and make it their problem to get delisted.

About Tags:

The big advantage of a tag is that you can use a name which explains why you created the override.   This gives you a basis for reviewing exceptions later.  "Why did I create this override?   Is it still needed?"

There is no master list for tags.  They are created when you assign them to a website and they go away when there are no surviving references to them.   You see a master list of tags when you go to apply a tag, but nowhere else.  You can search for all uses of a tag by putting the tag name into the search box on the Websites tab, so it is just as functional as if you had a master object list.

To give a tag a function, you have to assign the tag to an override action.

For this situation, I created and applied a tag "Uncategorized Override", and an override on the Filter Action to allow anything with the "Uncategorized Override" tag.

Some of my other tags are:

• Allow Program Downloads
    • Block Tracking Sites
    • Country Blocking Override
    • Not Allowed
    • Web Proxy Bypass

Each of these tags are associated with an Exception object or a Filter Action override (on the Websites tab) which define what the tag actually activates.

You have have to turn an Exception off and back on to ensure that it re-evaluates the configured tag list.   Category overrides do not have this problem.

• Excellent information Douglas!

It will take a bit for me to process that into a workflow.

Thanks!

John

Reply Children
No Data