This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Speed Issues with some applications and over slow transfer speeds?

Should I just be ok with overall slow speeds across our RED15 connected network to our remote office? Or am I expecting too much. I have two applications that share a network connected main DB and the speeds are terrible at best. What is the best way to find a local expert that actually knows what they are doing with app integration across a sophos VPN that I can possibly contact? This has been an ongoing issue I need to get resolved once and for all or simply be told this is the speeds I will be getting. My local sales person was ok for selling me the product but does not have the depth of tech knowledge to help me resolve this issue.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hey Brent.

You could try to find a local Sophos partner with more expertise using Sophos Partner Locator. There are some really good guys out there.

RED15 is limited to 90 Mbps bandwidth. But of course it depends on your sites' WAN speed, mostly upload speed at the main site. If WAN upload is low at the main site, your remote site access will be slow. Also, if you vave IPS enable at the main site, it could be a factor. You should test the  speed with IPS disabled and get a baseline.

Now, if you have fast WAN links and is getting 90 mbps and needs more bandwidth, then you should consider replacing RED15 with a SG105/SG115 + Network Protection. It's cheaper and offers far superior performance than a RED15.

Regards,

Giovani

• Thanks for the reply. 

I honestly think my gateway is either configured incorrectly or that it is eating up all my speeds due to intrusion prevention options running and causing the slowdowns. I cannot get any decent speed test results as it seems the gateway is tasking what is basically gig fiber at my main facility and dropping those tests when I run them down to 20mbps down and something even slower up. And that is from inside my network at the main office and not via the VPN. 

It just feels like something is wrong and as a small business General Manager that is lucky enough to be having to learn and fix IT as I go, it seems I need to look toward people that do this daily to try to help me resolve this issue or at worst track down the source.

I will look for a partner, but my last partner was less than helpful and in the end just did not have the deep knowledge needed to support my issues.

• Even better the Platinum Partner in my area's website does not even resolve :(

• Hi Brent,

You didn't say which UTM you have or how you're coming up with the measurement.  Before getting into hardware and testing methods, what does #1 in Rulz tell you?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The 20mpbs is the big red flag.  I am a believer there is a bug in the current builds of the UTM.  Some users who built their configs under previous versions don't have any problems, but when you setup a vpn s2s it just caps the connection at 20mbps and now any unproxied web traffic will be limited to around the same speed.  Whenever I post about this someone posts the rulez.  You should have a support contract with your license.  Might be worth opening a ticket.  I am.reaching the point that I am buying premium this time around just to get some work done on this problem.